The following checklist and our staff are here to assist you in acquiring your Veterans Education benefits so you will get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.


1. Apply for Admission to Indiana University Northwest

Before you begin pursuing financial benefits, you’ll want to make sure you’ve applied to IU Northwest. The Office of Admissions site provides guidelines for applying. Your personal academic background and goals will determine which academic office is best for you. Contact the IU Northwest Office of Veteran Affairs Services if you need help making this decision.

2. Complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a government-mandated form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. You’ll want to complete this form to ensure you receive all the aid for which you are eligible, even if you plan on using VA educational benefits. To be considered for the most potential aid, complete the FAFSA by March 1. Visit the FAFSA web site to fill out and submit the application.

3. Obtain Academic Transcripts from Previous Institutions

To earn transfer credit from coursework completed prior to attending IU Northwest, collect your transcripts from previous colleges and any military institutions that can be considered for IU credit. Provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD 214 discharge documents to the Office of Admissions for evaluation. You can use the following resources to get your military transcript:   

4. Attend New Student Orientation

Orientation is a great opportunity for you to get better acclimated with the university and its policies. It is also an opportunity to gain a sense of the organizations and activities you’d like to be involved in as a student. If you are unable to attend an orientation session due to military commitments, please inform the Office of Admissions and the IU Northwest Office of Veteran Affairs Services.  We will work with the orientation and advising staffs to set up a reasonable alternative to meet your needs.

5. Meet with an Academic Advisor before Enrolling in Courses

Meeting with an academic advisor early in the course scheduling process can save you a lot of time and energy and keep you from making mistakes. Advisors can help you plan a manageable course load that meets your specific academic needs.  They can also assist you in ensuring that all the courses for which you will request VA educational benefits do apply to your degree plan. This is a Veterans Affairs requirement in order to receive benefits. Your initial meeting with an academic advisor will be part of your orientation program. Following this meeting, you will enroll in classes.

6. Apply for Veterans Affairs Benefits

There are many benefit programs available to veterans. Visit the official Veterans Affairs web site to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you, or contact the IU Northwest Office of Veteran Affairs Services, and we can guide you through the process. You will need to complete one of the following forms online:

  • VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans (Chapters 30, 33, 1606, or 1607)
  • VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 educational benefit eligibility has been transferred (Chapter 33)
  • VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-1995: Change in Program/Place of Training for those who have used educational benefits at another institution
  • VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training for those who have used Chapter 35 benefits at another institution
  • DD 214: If you’ve been discharged from active duty, you will need to provide your VA official with your DD 214. If you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility or College Fund/Kicker Contract from the National Guard or Reserves, be sure to submit a copy of these forms to Veterans Affairs Services as well.

There is usually an 8 to 12 week wait before you actually receive your benefits. Once they arrive, you’ll have to verify your enrollment monthly via phone at (877) 823-2378 or online at the Veterans Affairs web site. Be sure to contact your VA certifying official if you have any changes in your enrollment status.

If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran. The state also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. Applications for both of these programs are available through the Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Once the application form is approved by the Indiana DVA, it should be forwarded to the Office of Financial Aid in Hawthorn Hall, Room 111.

7. Visit the Office of Veterans Affairs Services

In order to receive your benefits, you must come into our office to turn in your Veteran Request for Enrollment Certification form, as well as your DD 214.

This step lets us know to report your information to Veteran Affairs to complete the process.  You will need to repeat this process each semester you want to receive benefits. It is important to note that your funding will not be released until this final step is completed. If you have questions, please contact the IU Northwest Office of Veteran Affairs Services.

Your finances are an important piece of the college puzzle. As a veteran, there are many factors that can affect the cost of your education and your eligibility for certain award programs.

Indiana Residency Status

Any questions or concerns regarding your Indiana residency status should be directed to the Registrar’s Office in Hawthorn Hall, Room 109. The Registrar determines residency status and can answer any of your questions or concerns. Contact the Office of the Registrar.

Changes in Financial Status

If your income level has significantly changed in comparison to the tax year information you reported on your FAFSA due to separation from the military or other factors, complete an appeal form with the Financial Aid Office to be considered for an increase in financial assistance.  

Special Programs

The Indiana National Guard Supplement Grant is handled through the Office of Financial Aid, located in Hawthorn Hall, Room 111. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more details.

For additional financial assistance options, visit VA Benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program

CPT James Ahn Special Forces Memorial Scholarship

TA funds are a unique, distinct source of financial aid available to eligible Service members, and that TA is the first payer.

Learn about how to apply for TA funds here.  Be sure to visit your respective Military Service’s education portal for additional information.

Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling.

Click here for evidence of training, professional certifications and qualifications of select IU Northwest financial aid advisors who interact with Service members, prior to offering, recommending, arranging, signing-up, dispersing, or enrolling in Federal or private student loan programs.

View Cynthia Sabo's achieved credentials from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

View Gina Pirtle's achieved credentials from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

View Yolanda Solis's achieved credentials from the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

Click here for a detailed explanation of the financial aid application process.

Click here for a Master List of tuition and fees at IU Northwest.  Monthly verification of tuition and fee information is verified as regular updates to from this master list.

IU Northwest Office of Military and Veteran Services, in partnership with the Office of Student Accounts performs regular audits as standard operating procedure to ensure proper rate information is disclosed to in the event the Cohort Default Rate (CDR) rises above the national average.

Click the links below for evidence of training, professional certifications and qualifications of IU Northwest points of contact who support Service members seeking information on the TA program, Title IV funding, and VA education benefits and are familiar with institutional services to Service members who are seeking information about academic counseling, financial aid counseling, tuition, fees and billing,job search support, access to disability counseling, and other student support services at IU Northwest.

Statement of Policy and Practice

In compliance with 38 USC 3679(e) as amended by the Veteran's Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, IU Northwest allows covered individuals to attend and participate in their course of education, beginning when it is scheduled to start, per the published Schedule of Classes, and without regard to whether they have presented a certificate of eligibility, statement of benefits or VAF-28-1905. If certification to the Veteran's Administration (VA) reveals that an individual is not eligible for benefits, either fully or partially, the Certifying Official works directly with the student and VA to resolve.

IU Northwest does not impose any penalty, such as late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries, or classrooms; or mandate that covered individuals borrow additional monies, because of a covered person's inability to meet their financial obligations to the university due to delayed disbursement of funds from the VA under Chapters 31 or 33.

Options for Benefits

Veteran & Military Program Institutional Compliance provides a compiled list of links to IU policies and materials that are necessary for compliance with Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs education programs.

In-State Tuition Rates for Certain Veterans, Military Members, and GI Bill® Recipients

As of August 1, 2021, and to reflect changes in federal law, item 6 of the IU published policy will be revised to read: "A veteran, spouse of a veteran, or dependent child of a veteran who is using Post 9/11 GI Bill®, or Montgomery GI Bill® benefits and the veteran served at least 90 days of active duty and who is domiciled in the state of Indiana.” GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at:

Chapter 33, Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Benefit

The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Benefit provides up to three years of educational benefits toward your IU degree or certificate program. Benefits are available to you for 15 years after ending active duty. Under this program, you are entitled to funds based on the length of time you were on active duty. Dependents may also use Chapter 33 benefits transferred to them by their sponsor.

Indiana University participates in the  Yellow Ribbon program under the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Benefit. This provides additional financial assistance to nonresident or graduate students whose costs are not fully covered by the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Benefit. To qualify, you must be eligible for the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Benefit at the 100 percent tier and have costs that exceed Veterans Affairs state maximums.

Chapter 30, Montgomery Veterans Educational Benefit (MGIB)—Active Duty

This program provides up to three years of educational benefits toward your IU degree or certificate program. Benefits are available to you for 10 years after ending active duty. You must have contributed $1,200 to the MGIB during your first year on active duty to be eligible.

Chapter 31, Disabled Veterans Qualified for Vocational Rehabilitation

In most cases, in order to receive Chapter 31 education benefits, you must receive monthly VA disability payments. Exceptions are made in some cases, however. This award will cover tuition, books, supplies, and other education-related expenses. Application is separate and distinct from the education benefit applications. Contact the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services for further information.

Chapter 35, Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

To receive funds toward your education under this program, you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of a deceased, disabled, or captive veteran. Limitations for receiving benefits vary with age and the circumstances surrounding the veteran’s discharge.

Chapter 1606, Montgomery Veterans Educational Benefit—Selected Reserve

The Montgomery Veterans Educational Benefit—Selected Reserve benefits are available to members of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. Funding will be provided toward your IU degree or certificate program.

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) for Those Called to Active Duty under the National Call to Service Program

This education program provides up to three years of benefits for members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve, and National Guard who are placed on active duty because of war or other national emergencies.

Chapter 901, Educational Assistance Test Program

To be eligible for benefits under this program, you must have enlisted in the Air Force between December 1, 1980 and September 30, 1981 and meet all other military requirements including enlisting in specific Air Force specialties at select locations. 

Indiana Purple Heart recipients and children of disabled Indiana veterans may qualify for a state tuition fee remission. The Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs has applications for both programs online.

In some instances, veterans attending college are eligible for unemployment benefits. The veteran organization and the Indiana Department of Workforce Developmentoffer detailed information concerning jobless benefits for student veterans.

Federally Required Disclosures

View federally required institutional disclosures and IU policy resources on the Dean of Students website for compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (Public Law 110-315).

Verifying Enrollment

After obtaining your benefits under all chapters except Chapter 33, you will need to confirm your enrollment with Veterans Affairs each month by calling (877) 823-2378 or by reporting it online at the Veteran Affairs web site. You are also required to complete the Veteran Request for Enrollment Certification form each semester and submit it to our office.

Military Leave of Absence

If you are called to active duty, specialized training, or to take part in disaster relief efforts, you may withdraw from all courses and receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and fees. With the permission of the instructor, you may receive an incomplete or a final grade in your courses. You must provide a copy of your orders to the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services with a signed note requesting withdrawal. Read the full Military Withdrawal Policy.

There are significant differences between Chapter 30 and Chapter 33 benefits. You can switch from the Chapter 30 program to Chapter 33, but the change is permanent and should only be made after you understand the differing amounts of entitlement available under each program. For more information, call Veterans Affairs toll-free at 1-888-442-4551.

If all courses you are enrolled in meet for the entire semester and count toward your degree program, you need 12 undergraduate or 8 graduate credit hours to be considered full time by Veterans Affairs. Courses with a shortened duration may affect your benefits. If you are unsure about your status, please contact the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services.


Army ROTC: Military Science & Mentor Program

Army ROTC is an elective course you take in college alongside your prescribed major course of study.  At IU Northwest, the Military Science I course is worth one semester hour, while the Military Science II-IV courses are worth 2-3 semester hours. Purdue University Calumet students can enroll in ROTC as a guest student.  The universities will normally accept up to six ROTC credits hours as electives.  Please note: the ROTC is not a major in itself. The classes meet once a week for class and once a week for a two hour Leadership Lab.

ROTC is designed to develop and enhance the leadership and management skills of today's students.  While in ROTC, students lead the life of normal college students but have the added bonus of training in communication, time management, and personnel organization. Upon graduating, you may earn a commission as a second lieutenant, an officer in the United States Army.  For more details, please contact the IU Northwest  ROTC Office.

Counseling Services

The Counseling Center provides students access to a wide range of treatment modalities and referrals to outside resources as needed.  Many students face normal developmental concerns as well as personal and academic pressures during their college experience and find that it is helpful to discuss these issues in a supportive, professional, and confidential environment. 

Health and Wellness Center

The  IU Northwest Health Center is available to all students. The center provides high quality, affordable health care and works to promote a healthy campus through illness prevention education.

Professional Licensure Disclosure Information by Program

Certain academic programs offered by Indiana University prepare students to apply for licensure or certification.

Student Support Services

If you are disabled, Student Support Services can assist you in many ways by providing adaptive equipment to make attending classes easier. Contact the  Office of Student Support Services to sign up for special services.

Student Health Insurance

Through Aetna Health Care, the university offers  comprehensive health plans to students.

Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program

The  VetSuccess program helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for and enter the workforce. For more information, please contact Dana Yarbrough of the Department of Veterans Affairs at (317) 625-5313.


Veteran Entrepreneur Resources - A networking site of veterans who used their service skills to build businesses after their military careers.

VA Forms

If you have any questions, please contact the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services.

The IU Northwest Office of Military and Veterans Services is committed to helping veteran students and their families as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any of your student- or military-related needs.

Levonda B. Moseley
Veterans Coordinator
Hawthorn Hall, Room 102
Office: (219) 980-6940
Fax: (219) 981-4200

Contact Us

Office Hours

Monday ‑ Friday: 8:00 a.m. ‑ 5:00 p.m

Phone Number

(219) 980-6940

Email Address

Fax Number

(219) 980-4200

Veterans Coordinator

Levonda B. Moseley

Mailing Address

IU Northwest
3400 Broadway
Hawthorn Hall, Room 102
Gary, Indiana 46408

View Our Campus Map