Hiring A Student Worker-What You Should Know!!!
Student employment at Indiana University has three primary purposes:
(1) to provide financial self-help so students may further their education;
(2) to provide work opportunities that enhance the educational program through the learning of skills, responsibilities, habits, attitudes, and self-development associated with labor;
(3) to increase interaction with faculty and the community so students may more readily adjust to university life.
It is the policy of the university to employ students to the fullest extent possible utilizing the services of the campus office responsible for student employment. University departments are expected to follow this priority system when filling positions designated as student Hourly positions.
- Regularly enrolled IU students who carry six (6) or more credit hours during the semester.
- Students carrying less than six (6) credit hours.
- Indiana University students enrolled in at least one course during the summer, or who were regularly enrolled during the previous spring semester.
- New matriculants who have been admitted to Indiana University for the fall term.
- Stipends to students such as scholarships, fellowships, or assistantships will not constitute employment within the provisions of this policy.
C. Types of student employment
- Non-Work Study Employment: Non-work study, sometimes referred to as regular, part-time or student hourly employment, includes all on-campus student jobs other than those funded through the Federal Work-Study program.
- Non-work study and work-study positions are the same in terms of pay and job responsibilities. The difference between these two types of employment is how they are funded.
- Non-work study employment is funded 100 percent by the university.
D. Procedures to employ a student
Non-Work Study employment: Students and employers should contact the office on their campus responsible for student employment and follow their procedures. Please see the back section for all of the detailed forms to be completed for employment.
Forms to be completed for Human Resources to employ a student before they start working!!
Hourly & Work Study Employment
- I-9 (Appendix A)- Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- W-4 (Appendix B)- Personal Allowances Worksheet
- WH-4 (Appendix C)- State of Indiana Withholding Form
- Pay Advice (Appendix E - restricted) - Establish Initial Student Appointment
- Personal Profile Form (ED) (Appendix F1) - Personal Profile Form
- Effort and Time documentation ( to be completed)