The Certificate in Public Safety offers a broad overview of law enforcement and its relationship to the other elements in the criminal justice process. It is useful to sworn and non-sworn personnel, as well as to those seeking employment in law enforcement. The certificate also provides excellent transition into the Associate of Science in Criminal Justice and the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice degree programs.
General Education (9 cr.)
- ENG-W 131 Elementary Composition I (3 cr.)
- SPCH-S 121 Public Speaking (3 cr.)
- PSY-P 101 Introduction to Psychology I (3 cr.) OR SOC-S 161 Principles of Sociology (3 cr.)
Criminal Justice (18 cr.)
- SPEA-J 101 American Criminal Justice System (3 cr.)
- SPEA-J 301 Substantive Criminal Law (3 cr.)
- SPEA-J 310 Introduction to Administrative Process (3 cr.)
- SPEA-J 321 American Policing (3 cr.)
- SPEA-J 320 Criminal Investigation (3 cr.) OR SPEA-J 322 Criminalistics (3 cr.)
- SPEA-J 370 Seminar in Criminal Justice (3 cr.)
For more information, visit the School of Public and Environmental Affairs page on the IU Northwest Bulletin.