What is Army ROTC?

The only college course that is specifically designed to teach and develop:

  • Leadership Skills
  • Managerial Skills
  • Self Discipline
  • Confidence

      ...and place you on the fast track to success in whatever career you choose.

Army ROTC is an elective course you take in college alongside your prescribed major course of study.  At IUN, the MS I course is worth 1 semester hour while the MS II-IV are worth 2-3 semester hours. Purdue-Calumet students can enroll in ROTC as a guest student at IUN.  The Universities will normally accept up to six ROTC credits hours as electives.   It is not a major in itself!  The classes meet once a week for class and once a week for a two hour Leadership Lab. 

ROTC is designed to develop and enhance the leadership and management skills of today's students.  While in ROTC, students lead the life of a normal college student but have the added bonus of training in communication, time management and personnel organization. Upon graduation, you may earn a commission as a second lieutenant, an officer in the United States ArmyNo Obligation


How is ROTC different from enlisting as a private?

ROTC is the most common way for a college student to receive a commission into the officer corps of the Army.  A person cannot just enlist to become an officer.  While all individuals who wish to serve their country must meet the basic educational and physical requirements, officers must also possess a baccalaureate degree, and some preparatory instruction in small unit leadership, planning, and management.  College students enrolled in these Military Science courses assume the rank of Cadet and are trained in the fundamentals of military leadership. 

Officers are the leaders of the Army.  In addition to leading, officers direct and provide vision and structure to the Army. 

How long must I be a cadet before I can accept a commission?  

ROTC is fundamentally a  four-year progression system, but the Army realizes that there are many circumstances so they have devised many other lateral entry programs.  Depending on your particular circumstances, you could feasibly be commissioned in as few as 2 years (4 semesters).  To learn more, check out the cadet command website or contact SSG Jennifer Zalaker by phone at (219) 980-6812.

Do I have to go to Army Basic Training?   

No.  However, some individuals with less than three years of school may have to attend the Leaders Training Camp in lieu of taking all the basic course requirements.  The basic course is essentially the freshman and sophomore military science courses.  When a student has completed all of his basic course requirements, or has attended National Leadership Camp and is academically aligned as a Junior, they then become advanced program cadets.  The advanced course program is the junior and senior year. 

Office Hours


8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


SSG Jennifer Zalaker

Phone Number

(219) 980-6812

Fax Number

(219) 981-4244


Mailing Address

IU Northwest
Military Science
Lindenwood Hall, Room 309
3400 Broadway
Gary, Indiana 46408

View our Campus Map