Indiana University Northwest Undergraduate Leave of Absence Policy
Periodically students choose to interrupt their enrollment. Allowing students to take a leave of absence provides students the opportunity to return to the university under the rules and policies in effect when they left. It also allows the University the opportunity to counsel students about the required actions to return to the University.
Undergraduates are expected to maintain continuous registration every fall and spring term from the time they matriculate until they graduate. Students who do not maintain continuous registration for any reason should consult an advisor about whether to request a leave of absence and determine the financial aid or re‐admission implications of not registering.
1. Students in good academic standing will ordinarily be granted a leave of absence upon request, subject to the
considerations below. The length of the leave must not exceed four terms (fall and spring terms). Leaves of absence should be limited to the following reasons:
- Physical or mental health concerns
- Family obligations
- Financial concerns
- Military service
- Academics – sequenced courses are not offered for the upcoming term, reconsidering major, academic
- struggles, etc.
- Career opportunities
Students with other circumstances should consult with their advisor(s) for appropriate alternatives.
2. Students may return before the expiration of their leave. Whether the student returns early or at the expiration of the leave, colleges may condition the timing of readmission to a program on availability of space. Students do not need to be re‐admitted when returning from leave and they are not charged a fee to return to active student status.
3. Undergraduates in good standing who choose not to register for a term (excluding summer) and who have not been granted a leave of absence, or whose leave of absence has expired, will be eligible for reinstatement according to current program requirements and in consultation with an advisor.
4. Students who are discontinued must contact their college office to obtain approval for readmission to a program and register for another term. Students in good academic standing at the time they were discontinued normally will be allowed to return.
5. A student who has left the university without a Leave of Absence for more than two consecutive terms (not including summer sessions) may be held to new program requirements upon returning to the university. A student returning within two terms (fall and spring) or less may follow the program requirements in place when they left the university.