Students who have a strong background in a foreign language are strongly encouraged to take the Modern Language Placement Test.
For more on IU's response to COVID-19, please visit coronavirus.iu.edu.
- Students who have already a course for dual credit/AP test credit may not take the placement test in that language.
- Students who have completed a college level modern language course may take the Placement Test for placement but they may not receive special credit for courses they already took.
- The tests available at IU Northwest are French, German and Spanish. For other languages the student must contact Placement Testing to arrange a test from the Bloomington campus.
- Any student who is full-time (12 cr. or above) does not need to pay for special credits under the banded tuition fee for full-time students, regardless of their Freshman to Senior status. Transfer and new students in their first year who are part-time are also exempt from charge for special credits. All others must pay a specific per credit rate for eligible special credits.
- There is a $13.80 fee for the modern language placement test - billed by the Office of Student Accounts.
To sign up for a Modern Language Placement test, please contact Placement Testing at (219) 980-6830 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.