Admission to the Indiana University Northwest School of Nursing (IUNSON) Master’s Degree Program requires approval by the faculty and is based on the applicant’s qualifications as evidenced by grade point average, statement of professional aspirations, official transcripts, references, etc. A personal interview is also required. Acceptance into the program is competitive. The following criteria must be met for unconditional admission:
- Admission to Indiana University Northwest: Submission of an Official College Transcript (Degree granting and graduate courses if applicable). Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required.
- Baccalaureate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale from an ACEN (formerly NLNAC) or CCNE accredited program.
- Statement of professional aspirations (no more than 250 words) about career plans and reasons for seeking an advanced practice degree.
- Have and maintain a current, non-encumbered, RN license in any state where the applicant is practicing for the purpose of meeting MSN course requirements.
- Statistics: Applicants need to have a grade of B- or higher in a 3-credit, 300 or 400 level class prior to admission. A master's level statistics course (500 level) is required to graduate. The course may be taken prior (within the last five years) to applying or within the plan of study.
- Essential abilities: Applicants must agree to the essential abilities policy of the Indiana University School of Nursing. The policy states that students must demonstrate essential abilities in a variety of areas (judgment, neurological function, communication skills, emotional coping skills, intellectual/conceptual skills, and other behavioral attributes) as well as meeting all progression criteria.
- Computer ability: Applicants need to be able to use computer technologies to access, retrieve, receive and communicate information.
- Clinical practice: Clinical practice experience prior to admission is highly recommended.
- Personal interview with faculty admissions committee
- Two professional letters of reference with one from a current manager
- Submission of current professional CV/resume
- Submission of National Criminal Background Check
Note: An applicant who does not meet one or more of the above criteria may be admitted with conditions or on probation.