Call to Order.
April 23, 1999
Approval of the Minutes. The March minutes were approved as distributed.
Vice Chancellor's Business.
- A. Graduation. May 15th at 4 p.m. at the Star Plaza in Merrillville. Avery Brooks, actor, professor, television star on Star Trek Deep Space 9, and former resident of Gary will receive an honorary doctorate.
- B. Closing Remarks. This was Chancellor Richards last meeting with the Faculty Organization. She thanked the IUN community and challenged us to invent the future. The Chancellor received a standing ovation.
Associate Vice Chancellor's Business
- A. Commencement. Your participation is strongly encouraged.
- B. TERA Awards. Awaiting nominations from selected divisions.
- C. Center for Regional Excellence. This group consists of IU regional campuses, and has been divided into several different committees focusing on specific areas and seeking additional funding to continue their work.
- A. Noel Levitz. A financial aids analysis is being conducted, especially with regard to how scholarships are promoted and used. A tele-counseling project is underway and equipment has arrived. Faculty are encouraged to volunteer their time to work with incoming students through this project.
- B. Red Carpet Days. Two days are planned for this month and four more are scheduled between now and August. Attendance has averaged 25 persons.
- C. Commission on Higher Education. An effort to categorize the state's institutions of higher education was proposed. Under this system there would be four categories:
Category 1. Ivy Tech and Vincennes
The effort seems to be toward matching schools with criteria such as admission requirements, remedial programs, and other factors which do not appear to fall under the Commission's purview. This proposal could have future implications. Visit the Commission's web site for further information.
Category 2. Regional Campuses (ie: all IU regionals, Purdue Calumet, Purdue North Central)
Category 3. IUPUI (academic programs), Ball State, Indiana State, Southern Indiana
Category 4. IUPUI (health programs), IU-Bloomington, Purdue-Lafayette,
- A. UFC Report
- 1. FN Grade. This grade was established to be used on students who fail a class because they did not attend, but did not withdraw or drop the class. This is an internal grade only, and will not appear on transcripts. The purpose is related to recouping costs associated with students who receive financial aid, but fail to attend classes. See circular U10-99.
- 2. Intercampus transfers. Discussions were contentious. Representatives from Bloomington did not think there was a problem. For a complete summation, see circular U11-99.
- 3. Non tenure track faculty. Issues involve reviews and rights of non tenure track faculty. Interestingly, Bloomington insists that graduate assistants do no fall into this category. For further discussion, see the UFC Executive Committee minutes.
- 4. Review of President Brand. See UFC circular U12-99.
- A. Strategic Planning Committee. Chancellor-Select Bergland joined the Organization to discuss the Steering Committee and the University's future plans. Bergland thanked the Committee and indicated he was comfortable with the process. The process indicated involvement and ownership and exemplifies trust, which has to earned and be reciprocal, and honesty.
He stated that we need to chart a new course for IUN, to effectively impact the community and the state. In doing so, less is more in order to obtain focus. Choices will have to be made and honesty and candor will be important. The Chancellor reminded the Organization that impacting the community doesn't always have to be about courses and credit hours.
The faculty then asked numerous questions regarding diversity, the size of the Strategic Planning Committee, representation on the Planning Committee, and funding.
Submitted by: Ellen Bosman, Secretary
3400 Broadway - Gary, Indiana 46408