February 20, 1998
F. Chary, A. Lindmark, M. Sheldon, Y. Solis (bi-weekly staff), J. Tolhuizen, P. Blohm, D. Nardi , P. Hope (student), A. Adler, D. Coffin, R. Hug, D. Bailey (student), S. McShane, R. Wollons, J Coven (professional staff)
Concerns over the lack of diversity on the Task Force were expressed. The Chair explained that representatives were elected, volunteered or appointed by the Divisions. The following is the substance of the discussion:
Fac: Can something be done to address the diversity issue?
Fac: Motion: to add the Chair of the Diversity Working Group to the Task Force.
Chair: It's important to keep three things in mind: this process needs to move forward very quickly, the President requested 7-11 faculty members and this would increase the number and change the balance among the Divisions, and the President will make the final selections.
Fac: The Executive Committee discussed the diversity issue and it was a concern, but usually these things have a way of working themselves out, although this is an exception.
Fac: The Chair of the Diversity Working Group may not be available in June.
Fac: Perhaps the Chair of Minority Studies could be substituted, or the Working Group could elect its own representative.
Fac: The names must be submitted by 3 p.m. today, so there isn't time for the Group to select a representative. Also, we would have to remove someone from the existing slate of names.
Fac: Not everyone is going to be at every meeting. We have to recognize the need for alternates.
Fac: We should be able to work around someone's unavailability.
Fac: If this motion is passed, we would be sending forward 12 names?
Fac: It seems that the process didn't produce results to everyone's liking and we have to accept that the process was democratic and these are the results.
Fac: Seems that we first have to decide if someone is to be removed from the Task Force.
Fac: These are two separate issues and can be dealt with as such. The motion stands as is.
Fac: Will the Chair of the Diversity Working Group be the same all year?
Fac: Perhaps the Divisions could reconsider their appointments. The President still has the final decision.
The question was moved and voted upon. The motion carries.
Fac: Sounds like Bloomington and IUPUI are reserving the right to prepare television based courses, but we have the technological capability and should get involved.
Fac: If we do, we need a major time and financial commitment.
Fac: The State has no restrictions or regulations preventing out of state universities from offering courses or even entire degree programs, and there are universities poised to enter Indiana.
Fac: The intent of DE was clearly aimed at the regional campuses implying that we needed outside experts teaching our students. This is something that should have been opposed years ago.
Chair: The report of the Faculty Affairs Committee is attached to today's agenda. Is there any discussion?
There being no discussion, the document will be sent to UFC.
Fac: Has all the space in the new activities building been allocated?
Coffin: Yes. This option was considered.
Fac: Motion: That no additional rank be created for full professors.
Fac: If the implication is not to create an additional level of hierarchy, then this is an opportunity to showcase what we are doing. It is a symbolic process which might help us attract funding and students and create more respect for the University.
Fac: Creating more visibility for the campus and showcasing what we are doing should already be occurring through public relations and marketing. Creating a new title or rank doesn't seem necessary.
Fac: Isn't funding necessary for endowed chairs?
Fac: The rank of distinguished professor already exists on a system-wide basis.
Fac: Some campuses have a "Chancellor's Professor." There are already ways we can seek additional recognition and honor, such as the annual service, research, and teaching awards.
Fac: Yes, but those are annual, we could use something more permanent.
Fac: The distinguished rank is available, but it is a University policy and procedure and determined on the University level.
Fac: I call the question.
The motion was passed.
Fac: Are there any contingency plans for catering during cafeteria renovations?
Chan: We would have to work with our existing catering service. Hopefully, since most of our Summer classes are in the evening, few will be affected.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:40 p.m.