Executive Committee Minutes
October 5th, 2007
Attending: Bodmer (president), Gallmeier (vice president), Coffin (UFC), Adler, Blohm, Delunas, Echtenkamp, Flint, Hozo, Mulcahey, Pardasa, Sellad, Stevens, Fischer, V. Kilibarda, VCAA Aggrey
I. Meeting was called to order by the president 12:08 p.m.
II. The minutes of the September 7, 2007, meeting were approved as read.
III. Questions were raised as to the rejection by the administration of a faculty nomination to the Strategic Planning Team. The objection was that the nominated faculty member had already served; however, administration members hold permanent positions on that team.
[The following resolution was circulated by e-mail and endorsed by the Executive Committee:
Given the significance of the faculty voice in planning the future of the university,
Be it resolved that faculty nominated representation on the Strategic Planning Team be increased from 3 to 6, and presently nominated faculty members be seated on that team.]
IV. Gen. Ed./Assessment Committee--Professors Fischer and V. Kilibarda speaking
A. When we voted for Principle 1, we only voted on the framework.
B. We now need to vote for the framework and outcome
C. At the upcoming Fac. Org. meeting we will vote n the Breadth of Learning Outcomes. This was endorsed as a motion by the Exec. Com.
V. VCAA Aggrey entered the meeting
A. The proposed change in P & T guidelines (not sending the full dossier downstate for the final stages of deliberations)
1. If there�s a problem, all the dossier can be sent forward.
2. However, the document states that additional material can be forwarded
3. Prof. Coffin: this dismantles the candidate�s dossier
4. Prof. Delunas: This gives the campus more power
5. If there have been any negative decisions, the entire dossier goes down
6. The guideline that only full professors can rule on the P & T committee for promotion to full professor puts undue burden upon smaller campuses.
7. Prof. Bodmer: Shouldn�t the faculty be a part of this discussion?
B. VCAA Aggrey: What is this group doing about morale?
1. Salary, enrollment, communication
2. APC (Academic Priorities Com.) recommendations ignored.
3. This group should engage the VCAA and chancellor as to what power resolutions of the Fac. Org. hold.
4. There should be tracking of resolutions: report back, accountability of the administration to the Fac. Org.
5. Prof. Bodmer: I will add such tracking to the forthcoming agendas for Fac. Org.
6. The Administration should provide a public response to resolutions; it should not be up to us to enforce .
7. Status report on Fac. Org. resolutions--every resolution should be numbered and tracked.
VII. Prof. Coffin: Resolutions from the floor should be voted on at the next meeting
VIII. The five resolutions--
1. Dissolution of the Center for Regional Excellence, unless the center can generate its own revenue to pay for personnel costs for at least a two year period, beginning July 1, 2008. Such a determination will be made by a committee appointed jointly by the Faculty Organization and the VCAA
2. Dissolution of the Institute for Innovative Leadership, unless the center can generate its own revenue to pay for personnel costs for at least a two year period, beginning July 1, 2008. Such a determination will be made by a committee appointed jointly by the Faculty Organization and the VCAA
3. Reduction in costs associated with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, by eliminating all salaried staff and reducing the Director position to a part time teaching position
4. No additional cost for the College of Health and Human Services be incurred, i.e., administrative restructuring of the divisions incorporated into CHHS can be the only way to fund the administrative structure of the CHHS
5. Summer teaching stipends shall not exceed $ 7000 per course. This amount will be indexed annually to the average faculty raise awarded in the prior academic year.
A. When does the 2 years begin?
B. We should make a formal request for budget information as to the implications and the actual savings of the recommended action.
C. Should the Budgetary Committee consider this?
IX. Prof. Contreras resolution considering faculty administering of Martin Luther King Day activities. Is this a matter for the Academic Ceremonies Committee? There is still no motion.
X. The meeting was adjourned 2 :02 p.m.
Minutes prepared and submitted by George Bodmer
Return to Faculty Org Main Page