Founded in 1913, the first national honor society in business was a merger of three separate societies established to honor academic achievement in business at the University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois and the University of California.
Today, Beta Gamma Sigma is an international honor society that provides the highest recognition a business student anywhere in the world can receive in a baccalaureate or post-baccalaureate (graduate) program at a school accredited by AACSB International.
The mission of the International Honor Society Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business, to foster personal and professional excellence, to advance the values of the Society, and to serve its lifelong members.
Beta Gamma Sigma's objectives include:
- to encourage and honor high academic achievement by students of business and management through chapters in AACSB accredited business and management through chapters in AACSB accredited business programs;
- to foster in members an enduring commitment to the founding principles and values of the Society: honor and integrity, pursuit of wisdom, and earnestness;
- support the advancement of business thought and practice, to encourage lifelong learning;
- enhance the value of Beta Gamma Sigma for students and alumni members in their professional lives; and
- advance the visibility and reputation of Beta Gamma Sigma.