College of Arts and Sciences


Academic Forgiveness Policy

Undergraduate students who have not attended any IU campus for at least two years, are pursuing their first bachelor's degree, and are enrolling at IU Northwest for the fall semester 2012, or later, may request academic forgiveness.  Forgiveness means that all grades earned during the term(s) in question will not be counted in the calculation of the program GPA.  The grades will remain on the student's official transcript and will count in the IU GPA.  This policy will affect only the student's College of Arts and Sciences record.  Academic forgiveness may be requested for no more than two terms of IU coursework, consecutive or not.  Two consecutive summer sessions may be considered a single academic term for purposes of this policy.  The petition must be submitted within the first two semesters after the two year hiatus.

Students may petition the COAS office to request application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy. Students may apply for forgiveness in anticipation of entering COAS if they otherwise fit the guidelines.  Students will need to provide evidence that would indicate a significant change in their ability to succeed in academic work. A semester of good grades after the hiatus and before the petition can constitute such evidence. Reevaluation of fundamental skills may be required by the Dean before the student can proceed.

Academic forgiveness may be invoked only once in a student's academic career.  Academic forgiveness is inapplicable to any grades issued as a result of academic dishonesty.  The original grades earned by the student will remain on a student's academic record (official and unofficial transcripts), but the GPA and hours earned calculations will be adjusted appropriately in the Program statistics.  Academic forgiveness does not change the Indiana University earned hours or GPA calculations.  Academic forgiveness is IUN and COAS specific.  Semesters forgiven at IU Northwest need not be forgiven at any other IU campuses (nor by an other IUN college, school, or division).  

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.

IUN Bulletin

Click here to go to IUN Bulletin Homepage.