College of Health and Human Services

Schools & Divisions

Division of Social Work
Master of Social Work Admission

Professional social work education requires students at the master's level to undertake a rigorous program of classroom and practice work. The Indiana University School of Social Work seeks to admit individuals who have demonstrated competency though previous academic work, professional achievements, and volunteer commitments. A strong commitment to social justice and service to others should be evident in the application.

Admission information for the Indiana University Northwest M.S.W. program may be obtained from:

School of Social Work
IU Northwest
3400 Broadway
Gary, IN 46408-1197
Phone: (219) 980-7111

Web site:

Admission information for all other Indiana University M.S.W. programs may be obtained from:

M.S.W. Admissions
IUPUI School of Social Work
Education/Social Work Building 4134
902 W. New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5154
Telephone: (317) 274-6705

Enrollment in the M.S.W. program requires official admission to the Indiana University School of Social Work. A limited number of students are admitted each year. The following items are the minimum requirements for consideration for admission:

  • An earned bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
  • Evidence of course work in liberal arts
  • Successful completion of a minimum of six courses in social or behavioral sciences, as defined in the application packet
  • An earned cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the final 60 credit hours of the degree
  • Successful completion of an undergraduate or graduate statistics course
  • Submission of the completed application packet

Applications are available in early fall of the year preceding admission.  Information pertaining to the deadlines, requirements, and program details can be found in the application packet.  Applicants applying to the Indiana University Northwest program cannot apply to other Indiana University M.S.W. programs of the School of Social Work. All applicants are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible and well before the final application priority date.  The M.S.W. admissions committee will make all decisions and notify students in early spring.  Applications are evaluated on the basis of the six criteria outlined above.  Admission is competitive and the instructional resources of the school determine total enrollment.

International Students/International Degrees

Applicants who are not citizens of the United States should apply as early as possible preceding the fall in which they wish to enter. They must fill out the international application and the Indiana University School of Social Work application by the posted deadlines. They also must provide proof of their ability to pay fees and support themselves adequately during the period of their study and, through examinations designated by the school, must demonstrate an ability to comprehend, write, and speak English at an acceptable level.

International students or any person holding a degree obtained outside of the United States should request an international application from the following address:

International Affairs
902 W. New York Street, ES2126
Indianapolis, IN 46202-5154
Telephone: (317) 274-7000

Transfer Students

A limited number of transfer students from other accredited M.S.W. programs may be accepted each year. Master of Social Work students interested in transferring to Indiana University must complete an application for admission to the program. Applicants must submit a reference letter from the previous MSW program director stating that the student left the program in good standing and verifying the student's competence in the field of social work. Upon receipt of the completed application, the division director will review the materials and decide if the applicant may be accepted in the program. If accepted, the division director will analyze the student's transcript and course syllabi to determine which credits earned in another accredited social work program will transfer to Indiana University. In all circumstances, however, transfer students must complete all required courses in their chosen Concentration Curriculum.

Academic Bulletins

PDF Version

Click here for the PDF version.

IUN Bulletin

Click here to go to IUN Bulletin Homepage.