Indiana University Northwest

On-line Bulletins

Undergraduate Studies and Graduate Studies 2008-2010

Search IU Northwest Undergraduate Bulletin

Information for both Bulletins

General Information

Indiana University

Indiana University was founded at Bloomington in 1820 and is one of the oldest state universities in the Midwest. It serves more than 99,000 students on eight campuses. The residential campus at Bloomington and the urban center at Indianapolis form the core of the university. Campuses in Gary Fort Wayne, Kokomo, New Albany, Richmond, and South Bend join Bloomington and Indianapolis in bringing an education of high quality within reach of all of Indiana's citizens.


We, the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of IU Northwest, take pride in our unique identity as Indiana University serving the seven-county region of northwest Indiana.

As a student-centered campus, we commit ourselves to academic excellence characterized by a love of ideas and achievement in learning, discovery, creativity, and engagement.

Because we value the complete richness of the human family, we embrace diversity in all its facets and aspire to the full nobility of our shared humanity.

We interact in caring and competent ways to support individual and community aspirations and growth.

We honor and value the contributions of all our members. We promote well-being through an attractive and convenient environment conducive to learning. Our graduates are prepared for life-long learning, ethical practices, successful careers, and effective citizenship.

IU Northwest collaborates and cooperates with other educational institutions, external partners, and the surrounding communities to enhance our overall quality of life.


The mission of IU Northwest, one of the eight Indiana University campuses, is to provide higher education to the people of the seven counties in northwest Indiana. Quality and relevance are the hallmarks of IU Northwest's programs. These programs serve the needs of the most diverse, urban, and industrialized area of the state. Out of this diversity, IU Northwest strives to create a community dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and the value of education. We provide a friendly community in which faculty, staff, and students interact in an energetic and positive environment. Mutual respect and the development of the full potential of each person are essential parts of our educational philosophy. IU Northwest believes that freedom of inquiry, reason, and honesty are necessary to the pursuit of knowledge. The faculty, staff, and administration are committed to excellence in teaching, research, community service, and the management of university resources.

IU Northwest accomplishes its mission through:

  • A fully qualified faculty
  • whose responsibilities are teaching, research, and service.
  • who as good teachers take responsibility for enhancing student learning.
  • who pursue research that contributes to the expansion of knowledge, enlivens their teaching, and gives form to their service in the community.
  • Fully accredited programs that
  • provide a strong foundation in the arts and sciences.
  • offer a range of degrees in both the arts and
  • sciences and in the professional divisions.
  • offer classes throughout the day, evening, and weekend.
  • A continuing commitment to northwest Indiana through
  • campus involvement in the region's continuing dialogue about its economic, social, and cultural future.
  • faculty research and expertise.
  • university/community projects.

In summary, IU Northwest is an urban commuter university providing Indiana University programs to a diverse student body. IU Northwest is committed to preparing its students to live and work successfully in the pluralistic society of the twenty-first century.


IU Northwest is the result of growth and change that began in 1921 when the university offered its first formal classes in Lake County as part of a program sponsored by the Gary Public School System. Under various names and in various locations, Indiana University has been serving the needs of higher education in northwest Indiana ever since.
In 1932 Indiana University initiated the Calumet Center in East Chicago; and by 1939, through funds granted by the state legislature and the federal government, the Calumet Center was serving students in a building in Tod Park on a site donated by the City of East Chicago.

When Gary College was founded in 1933, Indiana University discontinued classes in Gary except for a few advanced courses. But in 1948, at the request of the Gary School Board, the university assumed the management of Gary College, which became the Gary Center of Indiana University. Gary Center classes were held after school hours and in the evenings at the Horace Mann High School until 1949, when all the main facilities of the center were moved to the commercial wing of the City Methodist Church, a move that allowed for a considerable expansion of the center's program. In 1955, with approval from the Gary Board of Park Commissioners, the Common Council of the city authorized the sale of 27 acres of Gleason Park to Indiana University for the purpose of establishing a Gary Center campus (the present site of IU Northwest). In May of 1959, the first classes were held in the new location.

Recognizing the growth of such centers and the increasing demands for higher education throughout the state, Indiana University in 1963 reorganized its various "extension" centers into regional campuses, and the Gary Center and the Calumet Center became the Northwest Campus of Indiana University. Soon after this reorganization, the first degree programs were authorized, and the Northwest Campus became a four-year college. The first commencement was held at the Northwest Campus in June of 1967. In 1968, the IU Board of Trustees changed the name of the Northwest Campus to IU Northwest.

Campus and Buildings

The campus of IU Northwest in Gary is adjacent to 240 acres of wooded park land, much of which as currently developed includes municipal playing fields, baseball diamonds, and golf courses. The city of Gary has already given 32.8 acres of this park property to Indiana University for the campus. The Gleason Park site is bounded on the north by an interstate expressway (I 80-94), on the east by a major north-south artery (Broadway-Indiana 53), on the west by the Gleason Park Golf Course, and on the south by residential housing. The northeast and northwest corners of the 240-acre tract lie adjacent to expressway cloverleaf exchanges east and west.

Eight of the buildings used by IU Northwest are located on the 27-acre main campus site. The buildings are the original classroom/ office building occupied in 1959; a second classroom/ office building and a student union building, which were put into operation in 1969; a four-story classroom/ office building, which was occupied in 1976 and includes a computer center linked to the computer facilities in Bloomington and Indianapolis; and the Library/ Conference Center completed in the spring of 1980. A three-story science/laboratory building, Marram Hall, opened in 1991, and the Savannah Center, which houses an art gallery, auditorium, health club and bookstore, opened in February 2000. In June 2006, the University dedicated the new Dunes Medical / Professional Building, housing the IU School of Medicine and the Schools of Business and Economics, Social Work, Nursing, Dentistry, and Public and Environmental Affairs. Adjacent to the campus is a building for divisional, departmental, and faculty offices. Two other structures contain university offices, research offices, and campus support services. There are also a greenhouse and physical plant facilities.

The Library

The library provides access to multiple information sources and services in support of student learning and faculty research. Along with the book collections of 240,000 volumes and 250,000 government publications, the library has access to 125 online abstract or full-text journal databases, an online catalog of all IU libraries, online catalogs of local public and university libraries, 1500 electronic journals, online encyclopedias, and biography and statistics databases. The building's variety of seating, attractive furniture and colorfully decorated walls, vistas presented by many windows, and café combine to provide a pleasant, comfortable place for individual and group study, research, and socializing Special purpose areas include the Calumet Regional Archives, the Northwest Indiana Center for Data and Analysis, the Lake County Central Law Library, the Environmental Justice Resource Center, a Geographic Information System (GIS) Lab, and the Education Resources Room. Through the IU Northwest library, students have access to the 7 million volumes and 26 million other materials of the other IU libraries. Books and journal articles in the Bloomington, Indianapolis, and other regional campus libraries can be obtained quickly for students and faculty through the IU Northwest System Services (Interlibrary Loan) Office.

The Calumet Regional Archives collects, preserves, and makes available records of local organizations and individuals that document the history of Indiana's Calumet Region (Lake and Porter Counties) for use by students, scholars, and the general public. There are more than 5,000 cubic feet of these documents, preserved for the education and enjoyment of future generations. The Northwest Indiana Center for Data and Analysis provides regional and subregional economic, demographic, health, environmental, and other data to businesses and nonprofit and community organizations. The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Lab provides software and assistance for creating spatial maps. The Environmental Justice Resource Center collects resources for the use of residents as they assess environmental health quality in their neighborhoods. The Community Grants Information Collection provides materials and databases for grantseeking.

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) has been established at IU Northwest to encourage and support teacher scholarship through collaboration among the Office of Academic Affairs, the Faculty Organization's Faculty Development Committee, and the Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET) members. The center, housed in the Library Conference Center, began formal operations in spring 2002 and is under Academic Affairs. The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning has established a Board of Advisors and a Steering Committee to provide faculty input on setting program priorities.

The Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning strives to facilitate the success of new faculty and provide continuing professional development opportunities for all faculty members. To reach this end, CETL hosts and coordinates a variety of events related to teaching effectiveness. The center also works with individual faculty members and entire departments on a range of topics related to teaching and learning.

The Center for Regional Excellence fosters learning, scholarship, discovery, creativity, and service, in the areas of Cultural Discovery and Learning and [E]Sustainable Regional Vitality, in collaboration with the communities we serve. The Center for Regional Excellence promotes regional quality of life along 12 dimensions: a diverse region, in which all residents are treated with equity and dignity; an economically thriving region; a region of opportunity for all; a region in balance with its environment; a region that facilitates learning and intellectual growth; a region whose residents are healthy in body, mind, and spirit; a region of open and viable neighborhoods; a region that equitably facilitates access to education, health care, work, commerce, and recreation; a region whose residents and visitors are safe; a region that appreciates the arts and celebrates life; a region of responsible and caring neighbors and institutions; a region of empowered citizens served by an effective and ethical public sector.

Cultural Discovery and Learning: Indiana University Northwest is dedicated to exploring our regional cultures through diverse perspectives and forms of expression. Using both traditional and new media, IU Northwest and the broader community collaborate to celebrate diversity in all its dimensions through cultural projects, programming, and events that serve and tell the story of our region. Center activities include artistic and historical programs and exhibits, education and exchange programs, humanities and cultural studies, public work, research and consulting services, and theatrical and performance art. Recent accomplishments include authoring the Indiana Arts Commission Region One (three-county) Cultural Plan; promoting the Sculpture Garden; and Campus Art Committee Projects that include furnishings for Moraine Center lounge to enhance viewing of the Sculpture Garden, an exhibition of Basque Art, digitizing the art collection, and the Klamen Mural Project.

Sustainable Regional Vitality: Sustainable regional vitality engages IU Northwest and the broader community in understanding how the constituencies of our complex region interact to support the region's ability not only to survive but also to thrive as a living, growing entity. Sustainability specifically addresses our region's capability to adapt in a rapidly changing environment in ways that ensure the area's ability to perpetuate its growth and prosperity. Five areas of focus for the Center are health and human services, urban education, excellence in business education and development, and environmental and urban issues.

Non-Profit Institute: The Non-Profit Institute is dedicated to providing education, research, and technical assistance that will increase organizational capacity and financial sustainability of Lake County, and Gary service-based nonprofits in particular. The Institute will provide targeted education and training; support for grantsmanship and organizational development; new means and methods for nonprofit sustainability, including funding resource information; and ongoing education, research and public service in a university-based setting to nonprofits and the audiences they serve.

Northern Indiana Consortium for the Environment. The Northern Indiana Consortium for the Environment (NICE) is a consortium of IU Northwest and its Center for Regional Excellence, Purdue University Calumet, Purdue University North Central, Valparaiso University, Calumet College of St. Joseph, and Ivy Tech Community College, promoting economic development through environmental restoration. The colleges and universities, government agencies, industries, and environmental organizations collaborate to consolidate environmental information, enhance public access and education, and facilitate and encourage research and policy activities that positively influence the quality of life in Northern Indiana.


The IU Northwest resident faculty numbers 180 men and women. They are assisted in their teaching responsibilities by associate faculty drawn from neighboring academic institutions, area businesses, local government, and not-for-profit agencies.

All resident faculty at IU Northwest have academic appointments from Indiana University. Their conditions of employment, rank, salary, fringe benefits, teaching and research expectations, and promotion are the same as their colleagues in respective departments at all Indiana University campuses.

The faculty of IU Northwest has its own organization, based upon a constitution written from principles embodied in the Indiana University Academic Handbook. Committees established by this faculty organization guide the conduct of the academic program at IU Northwest in a tradition that encourages individual faculty members to recommend policy in all areas affecting their interests and those of their students.


The student body at IU Northwest numbers approximately 4,500 persons working toward certificates and associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. Of that number, more than 600 are enrolled in graduate studies.

The rich economic, cultural, and racial diversity of the northwest region of the state of Indiana is found on the campus. About 72 percent of the students reside in Lake County; 21 percent reside in Porter County; and 6 percent reside in Jasper, Newton, LaPorte, Starke, and Pulaski Counties. Students, therefore, come with family backgrounds in steel and related industries, government agencies, service industries, the professions, and farming. With respect to the rich cultural and racial composition of the region, approximately 63 percent of the students are Caucasian, 23 percent are African American, 11 percent are Latino, and 3 percent are other groups. About 85 percent of the students at IU Northwest work full or part time while pursuing their education at the university. About 44 percent of the students enrolled at the campus are 26 years of age or older.

Alumni Services

The Alumni Office was established on the IU Northwest campus in 1967 when the IU Alumni Association staffed the local office with a field representative. There is now full-time staff to serve the alumni and students of Indiana University. The Alumni Office provides programming, maintains records, publishes communications, and provides services to those who are members of the IU Northwest Alumni Association, the Northwest Chapter of the IU Alumni Association, and the Neal- Marshall Club.

Campus Information and Switchboard

The Campus Information and Switchboard number is the appropriate place to secure information about the campus at large. Well-informed staff can answer general inquiries or direct callers to the appropriate offices in the university. For campus information, call (219) 980-6500 or 1-888-YOUR-IU Northwest (968-7486).


IU Northwest is accredited for its undergraduate and graduate programs by the Higher Learning Commission [30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois, 60602-2504, (800) 621-7440] as an Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) institution and as a member of the North Central Association (NCA). AQIP is an alternative accreditation process offered by the Higher Learning Commission that is based on principles of continuous improvement. The credentials of the NCA, a voluntary certification agency made up of member institutions in 19 states, are accepted on an equal basis by similar agencies in other parts of the United States and in foreign countries.

Academic Programs

IU Northwest offers courses equivalent to those offered by Indiana University at all its campuses throughout the state. Courses mentioned in this bulletin as prerequisites or recommended courses but not described herein may be courses offered on other Indiana University campuses. Students should consult their advisors or other bulletins in the IU series for information about those courses. See inside back cover for a list of other IU bulletins.

The academic program at IU Northwest includes more than 1,000 sections offered in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Health and Human Services, School of Business and Economics, School of Education, Divisions of Continuing Studies, Medical Sciences, Public and Environmental Affairs and Political Science, and Social Work.

Transfer to Other Indiana University Campuses

Indiana University credits transferred from one campus of Indiana University to another will be evaluated and accepted in terms at least as favorably as credits transferred from other accredited institutions in the United States. No review of the credits will be undertaken except in good faith terms of the same criteria used in evaluating external credits. In fact, students transferring within the Indiana University system are treated much more favorably because of the similarity of course work on the eight campuses.

Students who want to transfer to another campus should follow these procedures:

  1. Inform your academic advisor of your decision as soon as possible. Degree requirements may vary from one campus to another but if your advisor knows of your plan, your academic program can be designed to meet the requirements of the campus you will eventually attend
  2. Contact the department chairperson (or the designated advisor) at the campus you plan to attend. Discuss your plan and ask about any special procedures. For example, students transferring in fine arts must submit portfolios of their work. Music transfer students must be auditioned.
  3. Complete the IU Intercampus Transfer form online ( —moveiu).
  4. As the date of transfer approaches, check with your campus registrar to get information on registration dates and procedures on the other campus. If there is a preregistration or preenrollment procedure at the other campus, you should plan to take advantage of it. Contact the registrar of the other campus to determine whether you can fulfill any of these responsibilities by phone. Your registrar has a direct telephone line to all other registrars
  5. When you arrive on the new campus, contact your assigned academic advisor or department chairperson as soon as possible. Discuss your academic progress to date and the additional course work required for your program.

Overseas Study Programs

Indiana University Program

Credit earned in overseas study programs sponsored by Indiana University or participated in by Indiana University on a consortium basis is considered Indiana University credit, not transfer credit. Consequently, university scholarships and loans are applicable to fees for these programs. Credit usually satisfies Indiana University degree requirements and meets the senior residency requirement. Programs are not restricted to language majors. Indiana University's programs include academic year programs in Bologna (Italy), Canterbury (Britain), Hamburg (Germany), Jerusalem (Israel), Lima (Peru), Madrid (Spain), Nagoya (Japan), Paris (France), Sâo Paulo (Brazil), Seoul (South Korea), Aix-en-Provence (France), and Zomba (Malawi); semester programs in Beijing (China), Belize, Hangzhou (China), Leiden (Netherlands), St. Petersburg (Russia), Ljubljana (Slovenia), London (Britain), Maastrict (Netherlands), Moscow (Russia), Rennes (France), Rome (Italy), Rotterdam (Netherlands), Seville (Spain), and Singapore; summer programs in Costa Rica, Dijon (France), Florence (Italy), Graz (Austria), Guanajuato (Mexico), St. Petersburg (Russia), Quebec (Canada), Salamanca (Spain), and Mexico City (Mexico). For further information, contact the campus international programs coordinator or the Academic Affairs Office.

Other Study-Abroad Programs

Overseas study programs sponsored by institutions and organizations other than Indiana University are of varying quality. University policy on the acceptability of transfer credit from such programs is as follows:

  1. Transfer credit will be granted in accordance with usual Indiana University policy for credit earned in programs administered by a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or by a foreign institution that is recognized by the Ministry of Education of the country as a university-level institution.
  2. Transfer credit will similarly be granted for university-level course work completed at institutions or agencies that have been officially evaluated by Indiana University.
  3. Transfer credits may in certain cases be granted for university-level course work completed at nonaccredited overseas institutions and agencies that have not been evaluated by Indiana University but for which an academic record with grades is issued, but the maximum quantity will be 1 Indiana University credit hour for each 2 credit hours (or the equivalent) appearing on the transcript of the institution or agency. In many cases, despite the issuance of a transcript, no transcript credit will be granted.
  4. No credit will be granted for work completed in programs for which no grades or transcripts are issued.

For further information, contact the campus international programs coordinator or the Office of Academic Affairs.

Other Policies

  1. In all transfer cases, the quantity of credit awarded by Indiana University will never exceed the number of credit hours that can be earned at an Indiana University campus in the same amount of time.
  2. Many courses completed in study abroad programs fall into a sequential pattern among Indiana University departmental offerings. In all cases where sequential-type courses are involved, the respective academic departments may at their discretion require examinations before any transfer is granted.
  3. In order to avoid misunderstanding, students who plan to participate in overseas study programs that are not sponsored by Indiana University are strongly urged to consult their major departments or schools before making any commitment.
  4. None of the preceding affects in any way the procedures for establishing credit by examination outlined in this bulletin.

Summer Sessions

In addition to the regular session, Indiana University Northwest regularly offers summer sessions. These sessions are for students who want to study on the graduate level, to supplement courses taken during the regular year, or to speed up the completion of university study. They also allow high school graduates to enter the university immediately and to continue their education without interruption. Admission, orientation, and testing can thus be completed before the fall semester opens. Students admitted to the Division of Allied Health Sciences (Nursing and Health Professions) may be required to enroll in summer session courses. These students should consult with their program directors for further information.

Rules Determining Resident and Nonresident Student Status for Indiana University Fee Purposes

These rules establish the policy under which students shall be classified as residents or nonresidents upon all campuses of Indiana University for university fee purposes. Nonresident students shall pay a nonresident fee in addition to fees paid by a resident student.

These rules shall take effect February 1, 1974; provided that no person properly classified as a resident student before February 1, 1974 shall be adversely affected by these rules, if he or she attended the university before that date and while he or she remains continuously enrolled in the university.

  1. "Residence" as the term, or any of its variations (e.g., "resided"), as used in the context of these rules, means the place where an individual has his or her permanent home; at which he or she remains when not called elsewhere for labor, studies, or other special or temporary purposes; and to which he or she returns in seasons of repose. It is the place a person has voluntarily fixed as a permanent habitation for himself or herself with an intent to remain in such place for an indefinite period. A person at any one time has but one residence, and a residence cannot be lost until another is gained.
    1. A person entering the state from another state or country does not at that time acquire residence for the purpose of these rules, but except as provided in rule 2(c), such person must be a resident for 12 months in order to qualify as a resident student for fee purposes.
    2. Physical presence in Indiana for the predominant purpose of attending a college, university, or other institution of higher education, shall not be counted in determining the 12-month period of residence; nor shall absence from Indiana for such purpose deprive a person of resident student status.
  2. A person shall be classified as "resident student" if he or she has continuously resided in Indiana for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first scheduled day of classes of the semester or other session in which the individual registers in the university, subject to the exception in (c)(1) below.
    1. The residence of an unemancipated person under 21 years of age follows that of the parents or of a legal guardian who has actual custody of such person or administers the property of such person. In the case of divorce or separation, if either parent meets the residence requirements, such person will be considered a resident. (1)
    2. If such person comes from another state or country for the predominant purpose of attending the university, he or she shall not be admitted to resident student status upon the basis of the residence of a guardian in fact, except upon appeal to the Standing Committee on Residence in each case.(2)
    3. Such person may be classified as a resident student without meeting the 12-month residence requirement within Indiana if his or her presence in Indiana results from the establishment by his or her parents of their residence within the state and if he or she proves that the move was predominantly for reasons other than to enable such person to become entitled to the status of "resident student." (2)
    4. When it shall appear that the parents of a person properly classified as a "resident student" under subparagraph (c) above have removed their residence from Indiana, such person shall then be reclassified to the status of nonresident; provided that no such reclassification shall be effective until the beginning of a semester next following such removal.
    5. A person once properly classified as a resident student shall be deemed to remain a resident student so long as remaining continuously enrolled in the university until such person's degree shall have been earned, subject to the provisions of subparagraph (d) above.(3)
  3. The foreign citizenship of a person shall not be a factor in determining resident student status if such person has legal capacity to remain permanently in the United States.(3)
  4. A person classified as a nonresident student may show that he or she is exempt from paying the nonresident fee by clear and convincing evidence that he or she has been a resident (see rule 1 above) of Indiana for the 12 months prior to the first scheduled day of classes of the semester in nonresident fee by clear and convincing evidence that he or she has been a resident (see rule 1 above) of Indiana for the 12 months prior to the first scheduled day of classes of the semester in which his or her fee status is to be changed. Such a student will be allowed to present his or her evidence only after the expiration of 12 months from the residence qualifying date; i.e., the date upon which the student commenced the 12-month period for residence. The following factors will be considered relevant in evaluating a requested change in a student's nonresident status and in evaluating whether his or her physical presence in Indiana is for the predominant purpose of attending a college, university, or other institution of higher education. The existence of one or more of these factors will not require a finding of resident student status, nor shall the nonexistence of one or more require a finding of nonresident student status. All factors will be considered in combination, and ordinarily resident student status will not result from the doing of acts that are required or routinely done by sojourners in the state or that are merely auxiliary to the fulfillment of educational purposes.
    1. The residence of a student's parents or guardians
    2. The sites of the source of the student's income.
    3. To whom a student pays his or her taxes, including property taxes.
    4. The state in which a student's automobile is registered.
    5. The state issuing the student's driver's license.
    6. Where the student is registered to vote.
    7. The marriage of the student to a resident of Indiana.
    8. Ownership of property in Indiana and outside of Indiana.
    9. The residence claimed by the student on loan applications, federal income tax returns, and other documents.
    10. The place of the student's summer employment, attendance at summer school, or vacation.
    11. The student's future plans including committed place of future employment or future studies. (1) Admission to a licensed profession in Indiana
    12. Membership in civic, community, and other organizations in Indiana or elsewhere.
    13. All present and intended future connections or contacts outside of Indiana.
    14. The facts and documents pertaining to the person's past and existing status as a student.
    15. Parents' tax returns and other information, particularly when emancipation is claimed

1 Invocation of the provision in Rule 2(a) that applies to cases of divorce or separation requires appropriate legal documentation.
2 Rules 2(b) and 2(c) apply only to unemancipated persons under 21 years of age.
3 NOTE: Effective Fall 2007, students with immigration statuses which permit the establishment of a domicile in the United States may be eligible to pay resident fees. Current eligible classifications are: A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, E-3, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, H-1B, H-4, I, L-1, L-2, 0-1, 0-3, V-1, V-2, and V-3. Continuing eligibility to remain classified as a resident student for fee-paying purposes depends upon the continued maintenance of eligible immigration status. Contact the registrar's office for more information.

  1. The fact that a person pays taxes and votes in the state does not in itself establish residence, but will be considered as hereinbefore set forth.
  2. The registrar or the person fulfilling those duties on each campus shall classify each student as resident or nonresident and may require proof of all relevant facts. The burden of proof is upon the student making a claim to a resident student status.
  3. A Standing Committee on Residence shall be appointed by the president of the university and shall include two students from among such as may be nominated by the student body presidents of one or more of the campuses of the university. If fewer than four are nominated, the president may appoint from among students not nominated.
  4. A student who is not satisfied by the determination of the registrar has the right to lodge a written appeal with the Standing Committee on Residence within 30 days of receipt of written notice of the registrar's determination which committee shall review the appeal in a fair manner and shall afford to the student a personal hearing upon written request. A student may be represented by counsel at such hearing. The committee shall report its determination to the student in writing. If no appeal is taken within the time provided herein, the decision of the registrar shall be final and binding.
  5. The Standing Committee on Residence is authorized to classify a student as a resident student, though not meeting the specific requirements herein set forth, if such student's situation presents unusual circumstances and the individual classification is within the general scope of these rules. The decision of the committee shall be final and shall be deemed equivalent to a decision of the Trustees of Indiana University
  6. A student or prospective student who shall knowingly provide false information or shall refuse to provide or shall conceal information for the purpose of improperly achieving resident student status shall be subject to the full range of penalties, including expulsion, provided for by the university, as well as to such other punishment which may be provided for by law.
  7. A student who does not pay additional monies, which may be due because of his or her classification as a nonresident student within 30 days after demand, shall thereupon be indefinitely suspended.
  8. A student or prospective student who fails to request resident student status within a particular semester or session and to pursue a timely appeal (see rule 8) to the Standing Committee on Residence shall be deemed to have waived any alleged overpayment of fees for that semester or session.
  9. If any provision of these rules or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the invalidity does not affect other provisions or applications of these rules which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of these rules are severable.

Emergency Closings

Occasionally, Indiana University Northwest is forced to close because of weather emergencies. In the case of severe storms that occur overnight, every effort is made to assess conditions early enough in the day to notify the mass media of a campus closing in time to alert students, faculty, and staff members before they set out for the campus. In periods of very bad winter weather, students are urged to monitor northwest Indiana radio stations for closing announcements as well as Indiana University Northwest's (

Institute for Innovative Leadership

The institute is a unique partnership between Indiana University Northwest and community leaders in Northwest Indiana. The institute promotes the practice of leadership, the improvement of skills and self-awareness, and the expanded engagement of emerging and existing leaders at all levels and in all fields and disciplines. The primary focus of the institute is its prestigious Leadership Development Program designed to channel highly talented IU Northwest students through a yearlong program of inspiration, self-reflection, skill building, networking, and coaching. High potential students are admitted to the program through a competitive application process. Graduates of the program are inducted into membership and are eligible to participate in institute projects and activities. The institute collaborates with organizations that recognize leadership effort, participate in service projects, promote leadership opportunity, and practice leadership growth. Applications and additional information are available in Sycamore Hall, Room 314 or by calling (219) 981-5631.

Financial Information Basic Costs

Expenses for attending Indiana University Northwest for an academic year, including in-state fees for 30 credit hours, books, and supplies, total approximately $6,400. Expenditures for clothing, travel, entertain­ment, and personal items are not included in this estimate.


Tuition and fees are determined by the Indiana University Board of Trustees and are subject to change by action of the trustees. Students are advised to consult the fee schedule section of the campus Schedule of Classes or the Indiana University Northwest Office of the Bursar Web site ( to determine the current fees and due dates for any given semester.

Deferment Plans

In accordance with Indiana University Northwest's commitment to provide quality education at a reasonable cost, deferment plans are offered to eligible students. Eligibility is based on the total amount of a student's assessed tuition and fees for a semester and past payment history with the university. To participate in a deferment/payment plan, the minimum amount due on your bill must be paid by the due date. The minimum amount due consists of approximately 40 percent of the total bill. A deferment fee is charged for this service. During the fall and spring semesters, two payment plans are available: the two-payment and three-payment plans. Payment plans are not offered for summer sessions. Contact the Office of the Bursar for additional information.

Refund of Student Fees

When a student withdraws from a course or courses, a refund will be made for most courses involved according to the refund policy stated in the campus Schedule of Classes. Full refund of fees is given only during the first week of classes. Students are advised to consult the Indiana University Northwest Office of the Bursar Web site at—bursarnw or contact the Office of the Bursar for more detailed information regarding the refund of student fees.

Special Credit

During the first two regular semesters following matriculation at Indiana University, tuition charges are waived for undergraduate students who earn credit for courses by examination; however, a modest recording fee may be assessed. A reduced per credit hour fee is assessed to undergraduate transfer students the first regular semester following matriculation at Indiana University. Students who do not qualify for the previous two fee schedules will be assessed the credit hour fees at the appropriate resident or nonresident rate applicable on the date of payments. Students will pay an initial exam fee before the exam is given. Each academic unit determines in which courses, if any, special credit by examination may be earned.

Academic Regulations and Policies

The Student's Responsibility

All colleges establish certain academic requirements that must be met before a degree is granted. These regulations concern such things as curricula and courses, majors and minors, and campus residence. Advisors, directors, and deans will always help a student meet those requirements, but the student is responsible for fulfilling them. At the end of a student's course of study, the faculty and the Trustees of Indiana University vote upon the conferring of the degree. If requirements have not been satisfied, the degree will be withheld pending adequate fulfillment. For that reason it is important: (1) for students to acquaint themselves with all regulations and remain informed throughout their college careers; and (2) for students to realize that while ILI Northwest establishes certain minimum standards that apply to its students, other standards may be established by its various academic divisions. Therefore, students should refer to the appropriate section(s) of this bulletin or to bulletins of those divisions for a more complete statement of academic policy.

Academic Standing

Candidates in Good Standing for Baccalaureate Degrees Students are considered to be candidates in good standing for an Indiana University baccalaureate degree when their academic grade point averages are not less than a C (2.0) average for the last semester's work and when the cumulative average is not below this same level.

Exception Undergraduate elementary and secondary education students in the School of Education and undergraduate students from other divisions working for teacher licensing in senior high, junior high, or middle school must have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average to be admitted into the Teacher Education Program. Certain grade point averages must be maintained throughout the programs. These averages are in the education section of this bulletin. Also, the required education courses for elementary and secondary programs require at least the grade of C.

By maintaining appropriate grade point averages and achieving the grade of C or better in the required courses, students are considered to be in good standing with the School of Education. If these requirements are not met, students are placed on academic probation.

Class Standing Class standing is based on the number of credit hours completed: freshman, fewer than 26; sophomore, 26-55; junior, 56-85; senior, 86 or more.

Dean's List Students carrying 12 letter-grade credit hours or more who earn a 3.3 grade point average or higher for the semester are placed on the Dean's List. Part-time students enrolled in a degree or certificate program will be placed on the Dean's List provided they carry 12 letter-grade credit hours or more during the regular academic year (August to May) and earn a 3.3 or higher grade point average.

Probation Students are automatically placed on probation whenever their cumulative grade point averages are below 2.0. They are also placed on academic probation for the duration of the regular semester following the one in which they fail to make a C average.

Dismissal Students are dismissed from the university when they have ceased to make adequate progress toward their degrees. A student who has been certified to an upper division and who has failed to earn a C average in any two semesters and whose cumulative average is below 2.0 is considered to be making no progress toward the degree. A student earning less than a D (1.0) for a semester, and whose grade point falls below a C (2.0) average, is automatically dismissed. If this is the first dismissal, the student may be reinstated after attending a two hour workshop.

A student who has been reinstated by petition may be required to earn more than a C average in order to be considered to be making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Reinstatement Dismissed students may petition the appropriate academic divisions for reinstatement. Dismissed students must remain out for at least one regular semester during or after which they may petition their academic divisions for reinstatement. Reinstatement after a second dismissal will rarely be approved.

Applications for reinstatement must be received no later than August 1 for the fall semester, December 1 for the spring semester, April 1 for the first summer session, and May 1 for the second summer session.
Those dates serve as a general guideline, but students should check with the appropriate academic division office for special divisional deadlines.

Student Load Students may register for a single course or for a full-time college program. Students who register for 12 or more credit hours per semester (12 or more in the summer sessions) are full-time students. It is not recommended that a person employed full time take more than 6 credit hours of academic work during each regular semester, either in residence or in absentia, or more than 3 credit hours in each summer session.

Students who expect to graduate in four academic years, not counting summer sessions, should carry at least 15 credit hours during each semester of the regular academic year. Except with special permission from the divisional chairperson, a student is not permitted to carry more than 17 credit hours.

Absence Illness is usually the only acceptable excuse for absence from class. Absences must be explained to the satisfaction of the instructor, who will decide whether omitted work may be made up. The instructor will report a student's excessive absence to the chairperson of the academic division in which the student is majoring.

A student who misses a final examination and who has a passing grade up to that time may be given a grade of Incomplete until the instructor or the division chairperson has had an opportunity to review the reason for the absence.

Graduation Procedures

Degree Requirements Each division sets its own degree requirements. Students, therefore, should be sure that they are fully informed as to the requirements of the division from which they expect to receive their degree.

Credit Deadline All credit of candidates for degrees, except that for the work of the current semester, must be on record at least one month prior to the conferring of the degrees.

Application for Degree Each division sets its own dates and procedures for filing applications for degrees. Students, therefore, should be sure that they are fully informed about the dates and procedures used in the division from which they expect to receive their degree.

Secondary Education Teacher's Licenses With careful planning, students may complete the requirements for a baccalaureate degree outside the School of Education and for a standard teacher's license for senior high, junior high, and middle school within four-and-one-half years. See the requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Program in the School of Education section of this bulletin.

Degrees Awarded with Distinction To graduate with academic distinction, baccalaureate and associate degree candidates must rank within the highest 10 percent of the graduating class of their respective degree-granting division. Additionally, baccalaureate degree candidates must have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours at Indiana University. Associate degree candidates must have completed at least half the hours required for their degree at Indiana University. Each degree-granting division determines the appropriate GPA requirements for the three levels of recognition: distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction.

Withdrawals from Courses
A student may withdraw from a course during the first 10 weeks of the semester (fifth week of a summer session) and will automatically receive a grade of W. After the tenth week (fifth week of a summer session), the grade shall be W or F as determined by the instructor.

At any time during the semester, the student may secure a Schedule Adjustment Form from the registrar's office. A completed form must be submitted to the registrar's office within seven days from the date of issuance in order for the change to be valid. The effective date of the form for grading and refund purposes will be the date of processing in the registrar's office.

Withdrawals during the automatic W period require the signatures of the student and the academic advisor. After the automatic withdrawal period, a student may withdraw only with the permission of his or her division dean or director. This approval is given only for urgent reasons relating to extended illness or equivalent distress. To qualify for the grade of W, a student must be passing the course on the date of withdrawal. If the student is failing, the grade recorded on the date of withdrawal will be F.

Students who alter their original class schedules, whether by personal incentive or by university directive, must do so officially by the procedure outlined above. Students who do not assume this responsibility are jeopardizing their records by the possibility of incurring an F in a course not properly dropped or not receiving credit in a course improperly added.

Students who simply stop attending classes without formally withdrawing will jeopardize their student status and will become liable for repayment of all federal financial aid.

Addition of Courses

No student is permitted to enroll in any regularly scheduled course or for any additional hours of credit in any course after the first week of a semester or session unless the instructor of the course approves that an exception be made and the request is approved by the student's advisor.


The official grading system of the university is as follows: A, B, C, D, F, I (Incomplete), W (Withdrawn), P (Passed), S (Satisfactory), R (Deferred Grade), and

FX (Failure Removed from GPA Calculations). The University Faculty Council has passed a resolution that permits the use of plus and minus grades. The faculty council has also established a formula that attaches varying weights to these grades in computing grade point averages: A+ or A = 4.0; A- = 3.7; B+ = 3.3; B = 3.0; B- = 2.7; C+ = 2.3; C = 2.0; C- 1.7; D+ = 1.3; D = 1.0; D- = 0.7; F = 0.0.

The legislation was framed in general terms and applies to instructors teaching graduates and undergraduates on all campuses of Indiana University. Within the policy, individual instructors and academic units can elect to require its faculty to assign (1) only straight letter grades; (2) any combination of plus, minus, and straight letter grades; or (3) Pass/Fail in clinical or other phases of course work, or to permit individual students in specified courses to elect Pass/Fail options. The weights assigned by the registrar will be those specified above. It is the responsibility of the academic unit to adopt procedures for electing options, implementing the decision, and announcing its decision to faculty and students.

The quality of a student's work is indicated by the following grades:
A = Unusual degree of academic excellence
B = Above average achievement
C = Average achievement
D = Passing work but below desired standards F = Failure in a course
S = Satisfactory Certain courses are offered under the S/F grading policy. Credits earned with the grade S count toward graduation but are not computed in the grade point average. In any course in which the grade S is used, the only other grade permitted will be F.

P = Passed (Pass/Fail Option) Students may elect to take one course each semester with a grade of P (Pass) or F (Fail), with a maximum of two such courses each school year, including summer sessions. The student must exercise the election of this option within the first three weeks of the semester or first two weeks of the summer sessions. Required courses and courses used to meet concentration requirements may not be taken under this option. The responsibility for approval, as well as special regulations affecting the option, rests with the chairperson of the student's division under procedures that the division establishes. A grade of P is not counted in the cumulative grade point average, but a grade of F is included. A grade of P cannot be subsequently changed to a grade of A, B, C, or D.

W = Withdrawn The grade W is given when the student, with the approval of the academic advisor, officially withdraws during the first 10 weeks of a semester or the first four weeks of a summer session. Thereafter, it is given only when the student withdraws with the approval of the instructor and the division chairperson and if the student is passing on the date of withdrawal.

I = Incomplete The grade I may be given only when the work of the course is substantially completed and when the student's work is of a passing quality. When an Incomplete is assigned, a record must be maintained in the department in which the grade was given. The record will include the reason for recording the Incomplete, the course number and hours of credit, the signature of the instructor, and a guide for its removal, with a suggested final grade in the event of the departure or extended absence of the instructor from the campus.

The time allowed for the removal of an Incomplete is one calendar year from the date of its recording, except that the chairperson of the student's division may authorize adjustment of this period in exceptional circumstances. By assigning an Incomplete, the instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the I to be changed to an F at the end of the appropriate time period, if that instructor does not otherwise act to remove the I. The registrar will automatically change the I to an F at the end of the appropriate time period. A grade of Incomplete may be removed if the student completes the work within the time limit or if the student's chairperson authorizes the change of the Incomplete to W. Students may not reregister in a course in which they have a grade of Incomplete.

R = Deferred Grade Used on the final grade report, the R indicates that the nature of the course is such that the work of the student can be evaluated only after two or more terms. The grade R is appropriate only so long as there is work in progress. The deferred grade procedure can be used only with approval of the division and the willingness of the student to take the extended course before receiving a grade.

Removal of a Deferred Grade At the end of the second term of a deferred grade course, the instructor will submit the student's grade for the last term on the grade sheet for that term and/or send a Removal of Deferred Grade Card through the divisional office of the student's school to the registrar's office.
If work is interrupted because of extenuating circumstances, a special arrangement between student and instructor must be made on a term-to­term basis. If a student drops out of a course before the work is complete, the instructor must assign a regular grade (A, B, C, W, etc.) for the course.

FX This grade marking is defined in the student transcript as representing an F grade in a course that has been removed from GPA calculations by a subsequent retake of the course. The policy pertains only to undergraduate students. The policy of re- enrollment pertains only to a course in which an F was previously received. A grade of D, or any other grade, cannot be improved via this policy. In retaking the course the student must receive a regular letter grade of A, B, C, D, F, P, or S to change the original F to an FX. The grades of W or I will not qualify for removal. Students wishing to repeat a course in which they received an F must secure the approval of the chairperson of their division prior to repeating the course. The course in which the student re-enrolls should be the same course in which an F was previously received.

The FX policy has the following limitations:

  1. A student may exercise the FX option for no more than three courses totaling no more than 10 credits.
  2. A student may use the FX option only once for a given course.

Credit by Examination The student may receive credit for certain courses by successfully passing College Board Achievement Tests during the last semester of high school; by outstanding performance on advanced placement examinations given before the beginning of each academic year in French, German, and Spanish; and by successful performance on appropriate examinations while at Indiana University. Students who believe they are eligible for special credit because of superior preparation or independent study are urged to accelerate their college programs in this manner.

Where credit by examination is awarded by the university, that credit will be recorded simply with the grade S on the student's transcript unless the examination clearly merits an A grade. Failure to pass the examination carries no penalty and is not recorded. See "Special Credit" under "Financial Information."

Veterans Credit Veterans of military service are eligible for academic credit as a result of their military training and experience. The university follows the provisions of the Guide for the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in granting credit. In general, this provides that a student who has completed from six months to one year is eligible for 2 credit hours, equivalent to first- year ROTC; and a veteran of more than one year is eligible for 4 credit hours, equivalent to two years of ROTC, and 2 credit hours for one year of freshman physical education, less any physical education or basic ROTC credit previously earned. Additional credit as may be justified is awarded for special training programs. Copies of official discharge or separation papers or transcripts must be submitted as a basis for granting credit. The Office of Admissions administers evaluation of service credit.

Students attending the university with educational assistance from the G.I. Bill should note that for full- time monthly payment 12 hours of credit must be taken. Three-quarter-time benefit is paid for 9 to 11 hours of credit; half time consists of 6 to 8 credit hours or the equivalent.

Enrollment Services

Enrollment Services supports IU Northwest academic units by assisting prospective students to become a part of the IU Northwest community and assisting current students to remain a part of the community and to successfully complete their programs of study.

An integral part of Administrative and Fiscal Affairs, Enrollment Services is headed by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management and consists of the following units: Office of Admissions, Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Office of Student Testing and Assessment, Office of Special Retention Programs, Office of Career Services, and Office of the Registrar. The Enrollment Services' office is located in Sycamore Hall 103, (219) 981-5693.


Office of Admissions
Hawthorn Hall 100
3400 Broadway IU Northwest
Gary, IN 46408-1197
(219) 980-6991

  • The Office of Admissions is one of several offices on campus for prospective students to begin learning about the university.
  • Students may secure admissions applications, viewbooks, catalogs, academic brochures, class schedules, and other information about admissions and enrollment.
  • Prospective students may talk with an admissions counselor and be given a tour of the campus, which can provide students the opportunity to meet with professors in their area of interest.
  • Application Priority Dates:
  • Fall Semester: August 1

Spring Semester: December 1 Summer Session I: May 1 Summer Session II: June 15

Admissions Policies

IU Northwest supports the State of Indiana Core 40 curriculum. Indiana residents who graduated from high school in 1998 or thereafter should complete Core 40 to be sure that they satisfy the minimum course requirements for regular admission to most programs. An academic honors diploma is encouraged.

Indiana University has adopted the following admissions policies to insure that undergraduate students are prepared for university work. Applicants for admission to Indiana University will be expected to meet the following criteria.

Freshman Students

Students must have graduated from a state-accredited high school. Prospective students should complete the high school basic curriculum as follows:
8 semesters of English/Language Arts
6 semesters of mathematics
4 semesters of laboratory science 4 semesters of social studies
Students without a high school diploma may submit a GED certificate showing an average score of 50 (before January 1, 2003) or 500 (after January 1, 2003).

Class Rank Indiana residents should rank in the upper half of their school class.

Tests Students who have been out of high school for less than one year must submit Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) scores at or above the median score for high school students in the region we serve.

Applications Each freshman applicant must submit the following:

  • The completed undergraduate admission application
  • An official high school transcript
  • An application fee

Denied Students Any student denied admission to IU Northwest will be referred to the Director of Special Retention Programs for information on the Reach Program in conjunction with Ivy Tech State College.

Transfer Students A student will be considered a transfer student if any college work has been taken at another institution. All transfer students must submit official transcripts from each institution attended. To qualify for admission as a transfer student, the applicant must submit the following:

  • The admission application
  • An official college /university record showing average or above-average achievement
  • An official high school transcript if student has earned fewer than 26 hours of college-level work
  • An application fee

Subject to final approval by the student's academic dean, the Office of Admissions will evaluate credits earned at other accredited colleges and universities.

Guest Students A guest student is one who is attending a non—Indiana University campus and who wishes to enroll for a limited period of time, usually one semester, to take courses to transfer to the student's home institution. The guest student is required to submit the following:

  • The admission application
  • An official college/university transcript showing good academic standing or a letter from the school indicating good academic standing
  • An application fee

Adult Students (21 or Older) This admission status is designed to serve adults who do not want to earn a degree at this time, but want to earn academic credits. An adult nondegree student may be admitted upon submission of the following:

  • The admission application.
  • An official high school transcript or GED showing average or above average achievement or a transcript showing completion of a bachelor degree. Note: The applicant who is not eligible for regular admission will also be denied admission in this category.

Early Admission Qualified high school seniors may be given special permission to enroll in appropriate freshman courses while completing their high school courses. Students may qualify for early admission under the following conditions:

  • Complete the special early start application.
  • Have the application signed by the school principal or guidance counselor.
  • Submit an official high school transcript showing at least a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (a B average).

International Admission All non—United States citizens and those educated in countries other than the United States who want to study in any division at any level are required to complete the International Application for Admission. This application, along with appropriate educational records, must be forwarded to the IU Northwest Admissions Office, where it will be evaluated and processed in coordination with International Services at the Bloomington campus.

Notice of Admission Status All applicants who follow the guidelines will receive notification of their admission status shortly after the receipt of all materials. All accepted students, except those admitted into Guided Studies, are provisionally assigned to their academic division and are so informed in the notice of acceptance. Full admission to an academic division is granted after successful completion of placement exams. Admission to an academic division as a premajor does not indicate admission into the program, i.e., prenursing, predental education, and preallied health field students must submit a departmental application to and be admitted into the program by the respective departments. Some freshman students who are unable to meet regular admission requirements may, after additional testing, counseling, etc., be admitted into Guided Studies /Critical Literacy where they will be required to enroll in skill- building courses. Students in this category will be required to satisfactorily complete these courses before they are admitted to an academic division.

Graduate Program Students seeking graduate degrees must apply directly to the specific division that awards the desired degree. Each division that awards graduate degrees has its own admission policies and procedures. The appropriate dean or graduate advisor must officially approve a student's enrollment in graduate courses. If students register for graduate credits without school approval, they do so without assurance that credit for such work may be applied toward fulfilling requirements for an advanced degree.

Nondiscrimination Policy Indiana University is committed to equal opportunity for all persons and provides its services without regard to gender, age, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability. The university director of affirmative action is responsible for carrying out the affirmative action program for units in central administration. In addition, there is an affirmative action officer on each campus who develops and administers the program locally.

To consult with the 504 coordinator of issues of students with disabilities at IU Northwest, contact the Office of Student Support Services, (219) 980- 6798. The coordinator of Title IX for Women's Rights and Issues at IU Northwest is the director of diversity and equity, (219) 980-6705.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

In addition to developing local scholarship assistance programs, the Northwest campus participates in the full variety of federal and state-sponsored programs. The financial aid program serves students from diverse parts of society. Every student who applies for financial aid and has demonstrated financial need is assured some type of financial assistance.

In order to be considered for financial assistance, a student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). These forms are available through the local high schools or the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at IU Northwest.

Completed FAFSA applications should be mailed in time to reach the federal processor by March 10 for the following academic year to meet the state grant deadline. Financial aid applications may also be completed electronically on the Web.

Financial assistance, in various forms, is available for students attending any Indiana University campus. Because scholarship and grant funds are limited, the student's entire need for funds cannot always be met from these sources. Therefore, several types of financial aid may be combined to meet the student's financial need. It is not uncommon for a student, particularly with a large financial need, to receive assistance in the forms of scholarships, grants, loans, and employment earnings, or some combination of these sources.

Detailed information on types of financial assistance and application procedures may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, IU Northwest Web site (

Scholarships Most scholarships are awarded on the basis of the applicant's academic achievement and potential for college success. Some scholarships also require demonstrated financial need.

Local Scholarships Scholarship funds, established and provided by individuals, organizations, business, industry, and other private organizations in the area, are available to students attending IU Northwest. These may be offered in addition to the scholarships awarded by the university. (Refer to p. 160.)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants All undergraduate students admitted to the university are eligible for this award on the basis of high financial need. The amount of the grant is determined by the student's financial need for funds. First preference must be given to Federal Pell Grant recipients.

Children of Veterans, Law Enforcement Officers, and Firefighters Indiana residents who are children of disabled or wounded veterans, who are children of missing-in-action or prisoner-of-war veterans of Vietnam, or who are children of law enforcement officers or firefighters killed in the line of duty are eligible for a partial fee remittance. Inquire at the Financial Aid Office at IU Northwest.

Federal College Work-Study Program The federal government has provided funds to stimulate and promote part-time employment of students in institutions of higher education. To be eligible for this
program, students must be enrolled during the semester in which they wish to be employed. The student must also verify a need for financial assistance. Under this program, employment is limited to an average of 20 hours per week whenever regular classes are in session.

Federal Perkins Loan The federal government established this program to provide long-term loans at low-interest rates to students enrolled in 6 credit hours or more. An applicant must verify need for financial assistance and is required to maintain good academic standing. No interest accrues during the time of enrollment. Repayment may be made over a 10-year period at 5 percent interest beginning 9 months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours. These funds are extremely limited.

Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP)/Federal Stafford Student Loan Undergraduate students may apply through private lending institutions (banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, etc.) for loans of $3,500 to $5,500 for an academic year (effective July 1, 2007). Repayment begins six months after the student completes the program or is enrolled below a half-time status. Graduate students may be eligible for up to $18,500 per year in the Federal Stafford Loan Program. If graduate program official costs of attendance exceed the Stafford limit, credit-worthy students may borrow the additional amount up to cost of attendance in the Graduate PLUS Program, effective July 1, 2007. Further details are available upon request.

Federal Parents' Loans for Undergraduate Students This program provides an opportunity for parents of dependent undergraduate students to borrow from private lending institutions. Repayment generally begins within 60 days of the disbursement of the loan. Loans to parents of dependent undergraduate students are made for up to the full cost of the student's education less the student's financial aid.

Vocational Rehabilitation A person with a disability may qualify for financial assistance through the Vocational Rehabilitation Program. Application must be made directly to the Vocational Rehabilitation Division in the student's area. Locally, offices are located at 504 Broadway, Gary; and 911 Ridge Road, Munster.

Federal Pell Grant The federal Pell Grant program provides financial assistance to those who need it to attend post-secondary educational institutions. Grants are intended to be the "floor" of a financial aid package and may be combined with other forms of financial aid in order to meet the full cost of education. The amount is determined by the student's and/or the family's financial resources.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To be eligible to continue to receive any Federal, State of Indiana, or IU Northwest financial aid, a student must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward an approved certificate or degree. The financial aid SAP standards may differ from requirements set forth by IU Northwest academic schools and departments. The measure of SAP must include all college course work attempted at IU Northwest and elsewhere. SAP is applied to all attempted courses that appear on the student academic transcript, whether or not financial aid was received for all attempted courses. SAP is monitored once a year, at the end of the spring semester. Students are expected to understand the SAP policy and comply with it. The SAP policy is available at / —finaidnw / sap.

To demonstrate SAP, students are expected to earn credit for at least 75 percent of the credits they attempt. Students are therefore not eligible to receive any further financial aid once they have attempted 150 percent of the credits that are needed to complete their particular academic program. Students must also maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.

Students who fail to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy will be placed on probation status for one year. Students who have not completed their degree or certificate within the prescribed time limit will be suspended from receiving financial aid without a one year probationary period.

Students who do not comply with the SAP requirements will be sent a letter informing them of their ineligibility for further financial aid and outlining what they need to do, at their own expense, to comply with the requirements. Information will also be provided then, describing the appeal process.

Withdrawing after the Awarding of Financial Aid

Should a student withdraw from a class or classes, once financial aid has already been credited to the student's bursar account for the dropped class or classes, some recalculation of the financial aid may be necessary. Students should always consult with a Financial Aid Counselor before withdrawing from any class or classes, especially once financial aid has already been credited to the student's bursar account.

Student Testing and Assessment

The university requires that all new students take the Academic Skills Assessment before academic advising. This ensures that students are placed in courses commensurate with their academic abilities. Appointments are required and can be scheduled online (at or by calling
Enrollment Services' Student Testing and Assessment Office at (219) 980-6830. Students who have had four years of a foreign language are encouraged to take the Foreign Language Placement Test. Tests are offered in French, German, and Spanish and permit the awarding of advanced and special credit. There is a $12 fee for each test.

Special Retention Programs Peer Network Mentoring Program

The Peer Network program is designed to help first- year students successfully transition into college by providing trained peer mentors to interested new students. Peer mentors are available to answer questions, offer support, and share their knowledge of IU Northwest during one-on-one meetings with mentored students. The program helps new students become more involved in their education by encouraging participation in campus activities and helping them explore the many academic resources available to all students. Other activities through the Peer Network include workshops on student success and basic college skills. For further information, contact the Office of Special Retention Programs in Hawthorn 425 or call (219) 981-4296.

Supplemental Instruction

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic support program that offers peer assistance in historically challenging academic courses by scheduling twice- weekly study sessions. SI study sessions are study groups in which students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, predict test items, and learn study skills that will help in both current and future courses. The sessions are facilitated by SI leaders, students who have previously and successfully taken the course, and been recommended by the instructor. The SI leader acts as a model student of the discipline. Supplemental Instruction is offered to enrolled students at no cost. For further information, contact the Office of Special Retention Programs in Hawthorn 425 or call (219) 981-4296.

Critical Literacy Program

Students admitted to Guided Studies participate in the Critical Literacy Program (CLP), designed to strengthen students' study skills and their foundational skills in basic reading and writing. The curriculum consists of 12 credit hours of specific course work focused on basic reading, writing, and study/college skills. After completion of the curriculum, students are better prepared to take college-level work and are allowed to take other courses. Support services for CLP participants include the Writing Center (English Department, 219-980- 6502), the Math Lab (Math Department, 219-980-6590) and Reading Lab (School of Education, 219-980-6597). For further information, contact the Office of Special Retention Programs in Hawthorn 425 or call (219) 981-4296.

Career Services

Keep this office in mind for your career development needs. The staff of Career Services is committed to working with Indiana University Northwest students and all IU alumni in making informed academic and career decisions. The Office of Career Services enables students and alumni to make career decisions, investigate career options, take career inventories that will reflect their areas of interest, set appropriate goals, network, and create opportunities to meet those goals by utilizing the following services:

Career Counseling and Planning

We provide career counseling sessions to assist you through your career development process, which may include assistance with choosing a specific career field of interest or major, resume and cover letter writing, interviewing skills (mock interviews), job search strategies, and exploring graduate schools (test dates and applications).

Career Assessments

Identify your personal strengths and even a potential major through career counseling assessment inventories including Focus II, Myers Briggs Test Indicator, and Strong Interest Inventory.

Placement and Resume Referral Services

Internship/job postings are available online through the Career Services Website (—career nw). Visit the online recruiting tool (www.collegecentral. com/iun).

Federal Work-Study Program

Learn about the application process, post-award paperwork, orientation, benefits of work-study, and identifying work-study opportunities on and off campus.

Undecided Program

The Career Library and counselors help in determining career options for particular majors.

Internship Program

Let us assist you with finding quality internships to help you grow as a professional and become marketable upon graduation.
Employers provide paid and nonpaid opportunities for internships.
Possible academic credit may be available upon approval of your academic division.

Programs and Workshop

Topics include Resume and Cover Letter Writing, Effective Job Searching, Interviewing Skills, How to Have a Successful Job Fair Experience: Credential Files, and Work-Study Information. In addition, we offer in-class presentations on various topics related to career development processes. Workshop topics, dates, times, and locations are announced via e-mail to students and are posted on job boards located in the Moraine Student Center, Hawthorn Hall, Marram Hall, and the Dunes Medical Professional Building.

Career/Job Fairs, Online Job Board, and Events

Check your e-mail for job and internship opportunities. Or visit the Career Services Web site for job postings, upcoming dates for our annual Job Fairs, and a listing of other local job fair events, on-campus interview and employer recruiting events, and roundtable information sessions.

Please feel free to contact the Office of Career Services:
Phone: (219) 980-6650
Location: Moraine Student Center, Room 101

Office of the Registrar

The Office of the Registrar has primary responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing schedules of classes, registrations, and course changes. Other functions include student record maintenance, grade processing, student information reporting, enrollment certifications, and transcript services. Questions concerning veterans' affairs may be addressed to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar is also responsible for scheduling meeting rooms and classrooms for activities other than classes

Confidentiality of Records

Release of Information in Student Records In accordance with federal statutes and regulations, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), student records are confidential and available for disclosure to persons other than the student only under stated exceptions. An exception to the act exists that permits disclosure to school officials, including collection agencies.

Further details about the provisions of the privacy act and a list of offices where student records are kept may be found in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. Copies are available in the Office of Student Life, Savannah Center, Room 217.

Student Services Administration

The Student Services Administration provides a variety of developmental and support services to students as they pursue higher education. The Office of Student Services Administration is administered by the Vice Chancellor for Student Services. The units reporting to Student Services work together to enhance the personal and academic development of all students. They support the mission of the university and they bring the needs of the students to the attention of the faculty and administration.

The following offices report to the Student Affairs Administration: Child Care Center, Counseling Services, 21st Century Scholars, Multicultural Affairs, Occupational Development, Student Life/Athletics, and Student Support Services.

IU Northwest Child Care Center

IU Northwest Child Care Center provides care for children of students, faculty, and staff. The center offers a quality program at a reasonable hourly rate for children from ages three through nine during the following hours:
Mon.-Thurs.                      7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Fri.                                       7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Mon.-Fri.                            7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Later by appointment only, until 9 p.m.
For further information, contact the director at (219) 980-6875.

Counseling Services

Professional counseling services are available to all students through the IU Northwest Counseling Office, Sycamore Hall 301. In addition, faculty and staff are available for consultation on personal problems. When appropriate, referrals to community or private counseling resources will be made. All counseling and consultation, and all records are held in strict confidence

21st Century Scholars Program

The 21st Century Scholars Program is hosted on the IU Northwest campus. It is designed to raise educational aspirations of low- and moderate-income families by affording college education to their children. Seventh- and eighth-graders who enroll in the program and fulfill a pledge to good citizenship to the state are guaranteed the cost of four years of college tuition at IU Northwest (and any other participating public college or university in Indiana) after high school graduation. This program is administered by the Office of the Vice Chancellor and funded by the state of Indiana. Interested persons should contact the office at (219) 980-4351.

Multicultural Affairs Program

The Multicultural Affairs Program is designed to meet the academic, cultural, and social needs of students in order to increase retention, graduation, and professional and graduate school participation, specifically for students of color.
The Multicultural Affairs Program's services include but are not limited to the following:

  • Summer orientation
  • Peer mentoring
  • Faculty mentoring (when appropriate)
  • Tutoring
  • Academic advising
  • Educational tours
  • Career workshops
  • Internships
  • Workshops on various issues
  • Graduation / acknowledgment/ activities
  • Support services for the 21st Century Scholars Program

Applications for participation are available in Raintree 227, or for further information contact the coordinator at (219) 980-6763

Occupational Development Program

The Occupational Development Program encourages, supports, and facilitates academic development. It is a federally funded program, providing academic and career assistance for qualified vocational education students throughout preprofessional and professional course work. Qualified persons are those who have a 2.9 grade point average or lower, need and receive financial assistance, and  have limited English language proficiency. Services include tutoring, resource (video, audio, and book) loans, and financial assistance for licensing exam preparatory seminars.

As long as a qualified student is in attendance, tutoring is available. The tutored courses are the following:
Biology                 BIOL L100 and BIOL M200
Chemistry CHEM C101 and CHEM C102 Physiology PHSL P130, PHSL P261, and PHSL P262
The Occupational Development Program office is located in Raintree 229

Student Life/Athletics Office

The Student Life/Athletics Office promotes and enhances the quality of student life \on the IU Northwest campus. The office serves as the central university resource for student clubs and organizations. Professional assistance is available to individuals and student organizations sponsoring campus activities, forming new clubs, and addressing special needs or interests.

Students may participate in intramurals and recreation; student government; planning and sponsoring campus entertainment through the Student Activities Board; developing journalistic skills as a member of the student newspaper, the Northwest Phoenix, or the Spirits literary magazine; or community service projects through the IU Northwest Volunteerism Program. More than 40 registered student clubs and organizations seek to develop social, educational, and cultural appreciation, and provide creative expression through the fine arts. Additionally, the Student Life/ Athletics Office issues photo identification cards, approves on-campus publicity, and distributes recreational equipment and games.

Student Life/Athletics also oversees the new Savannah Recreation Center and Gym, where the IU Northwest Redhawks sports teams play their home games. Membership in the Savannah Recreation and Fitness Center is available to students, faculty, and staff for a nominal fee.

Athletic Programs

Effective fall 1998, IU Northwest became a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Intercollegiate sports include men's basketball and baseball, and women's basketball and volleyball.

Student Support Services

The Office of Student Support Services (OSSS) aims to facilitate and increase the retention, graduation, and professional and graduate school enrollment rates for qualified participants.

Qualified participants include students who qualify for federal financial aid, first-generation college students, andstudents with disabilities. OSSS is funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Services include tutoring, academic advising and counseling, supplemental classroom instruction, and academic workshops. In addition to these services, OSSS also has a program for students with disabilities and Guided Studies. Special Services within this program include the following:
Reader and note-taker services
Placement testing
Test proctoring
Campus orientation
Resource information and referral

The Guided Studies Program is for students who do not meet the university's regular or probationary admission criteria. Admission into this program is not guaranteed. Interested students must submit an application for admission, high school transcripts, and SAT scores (if applicable). Students may be required to take additional diagnostic tests and submit letters of recommendation. Upon successfully completing required developmental courses, students may enroll in regular university courses leading to a degree.

The program also assists adults who have been out of school for an extended period and who wish to refresh basic skills before proceeding with their educational plans. This service is available to all IU Northwest students at any academic level. Applications for participation are available in Hawthorn 300

Dental Clinic Services

The Dental Hygiene Program on the IU Northwest campus offers clinical dental services to students and faculty including a dental inspection, dental prophylaxis (scaling and polishing of teeth), caries preventive treatments (application of fluorides), sealants, preventive periodontal treatment (treatment of minor gum disorders), and diagnostic dental X-ray films Qualified dental hygiene students under the supervision of an instructor render all treatment. All persons are eligible for treatment, and appointments can be made by calling (219) 980-6772.

The Dental Assisting Program also offers supervised X rays for a nominal fee. Appointments can be made by calling (219) 980-6772.