Gary Indiana - University Park
Retail in University Park
Broadway provides some neighborhood retail services, while Grant Street offers more regional, auto-oriented retail including the Village Shopping Center.
- Broadway is currently under performing as a neighborhood retail street.
- There are many abandoned structures, vacant land and several surface parking lots.
- There is a need for a variety of retail stores in University Park, including a grocery store.
- The current speed of traffic and wide expanse of pavement is not conducive to ‘walk-up’ customers.
- Broadway and Ridge Road are strong locations for new neighborhood serving
- There are a significant number of existing vacant buildings which are suitable for
rehabilitation / renovation.
- There is demand for up to 210,000 square feet on new regional retail.
- Grant Street is a strong location for new regional retail.