Gary Indiana - University Park
Make Broadway The Main Street For Its Neighbors
New neighborhood office development, retail development, expansion of Indiana University Northwest and higher density housing should be directed to Broadway to create an active Main Street for the University Park neighborhood. A rich mix of uses is encouraged to support day-time, evening and weekend activity from workers, shoppers, students and residents.
NEW DEVELOPMENT ON BROADWAY
- Encourage the location of a new State of Indiana office building at the South East corner of Broadway and 36th Avenue.
- Expand IUN to the east side of Broadway north of 35th Avenue.
- Encourage the consolidation of arts, education, programs, joint community arts and education programs by IUN on land east of Broadway. Bring new entertainment to Broadway. RENOVATION AND IN-FILL DEVELOPMENT ON BROADWAY STREET
- Renovate existing buildings to accommodate new retail on Broadway.
- Renovate existing buildings to accommodate residential and small neighborhood offices on the upper floors.
- Renovate buildings to create entertainment or performance spaces.
- Infill underutilized land with new single story retail on Broadway.
- Infill underutilized land with new two to four story mixed-use buildings with retail or office at the ground floor and residential or office on upper floors.
- Infill underutilized land with two to four story residential buildings on Broadway.
- Locate townhomes and residential apartment buildings on blocks behind Broadway.
- Encourage new development south of Ridge Road.
BUILDING DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
- Ensure new buildings are built to the property line
- Require entries, doors and windows at the ground floor level to provide eyes on the street.
- Avoid curb-cuts on Broadway. Place surface parking behind buildings on Broadway.
- Ensure all surface parking lots are screened with landscaping, have high quality fencing, landscaped internally and are well lit.