University Park has excellent access. It is served to the immediate north
and east by interstate highways. Broadway, Ridge Road and Grant Street
provide connections to other communities and downtown Gary. 35th Avenue,
Georgia Street and Martin Luther King Street provide connections to adjacent
- Highway off-ramps and city streets do not provide a sense of arrival
to University Park.
- Streetscaping on Broadway does not encourage pedestrians to walk
to local businesses.
- Pavement width and traffic speeds do not promote a pedestrian-friendly
- 35th Avenue does not encourage walking between institutions.
- Sidewalks, curbs, gutters and storm sewers are missing on many residential
blocks, particularly adjacent to 33rd Avenue.
- The planned expansion of the Borman Expressway I-80/94 creates opportunities
for improvements to Broadway and Ridge Road.
- Improvements at I-65 and Ridge Road offer the opportunity to create