Strategic Planning Committee
November 2004 Retreat
Guidelines for Facilities Planning Committee
The Facilities Planning Committee is charged with developing a process and a plan that:
- Supports the strategic direction of the campus.
- Allows achievement of annual operating needs.
- Includes the capacity to react to unforeseen opportunities for improvement.
- Ensures facilities that are consistent with the Shared Vision and Mission of IU Northwest.
- Establishes plans for campus expansion and reconfiguration in collaborative and cooperative ways with the neighboring community.
In making facilities recommendations, the Facilities Planning Committee will ensure that:
- Decisions promote the unique identity of IU Northwest as
- A campus of IU, and
- An institution known for excellence in cultural discovery and learning and sustainable regional vitality
- Decisions produce an environment conducive to learning for diverse groups and learning styles and conducive to the pursuit of scholarship, discovery, creativity and service.
- Decisions are consistent with the campus’ “Student Centered Principles.”
- Decisions promote well-being through an environment that ensures the safety and security of all who come to campus.
- Decisions promote the real and perceived accessibility of the campus to the community we serve.
- Decisions promote an attractive and convenient environment that is engaging to students, faculty, staff, administration, and the community at large.
- Decisions are consistent with our goal of providing an environment that is aesthetically pleasing.
- Decisions are environmentally responsible to the extent feasible for the university.
- Sustainability issues are addressed in all decisions.
When making current and future design, space and infrastructure recommendations, the following should be considered in addition to the general principles:
- Ensure that there is an appropriate mix of space for intimate gatherings and larger activities.
- Provide for flexibility in terms of immediate and longer-term use.
- Ensure support for appropriate technology to enable users in their pursuit of excellence.
The design, location, proximity and scale of signage optimize the IU brand.
2010 Outcome 1
IU Northwest will have attractive and convenient facilities conducive to learning, scholarship, discovery, creativity, and service (guidelines to be provided within one year by Strategic Planning Team).
2010 Outcome 2
IU Northwest will have facilities that are attractive, convenient and conducive to life-long learning, ethical practices, developing successful careers, and effective citizenship.
As program prioritization determines programmatic change, ensure that there is a process in place to reallocate facilities appropriately.
November 17, 2004