RESOLUTION - CAMPUS PRIORITIES
Faculty Organization Executive Committee:
After discussion with Chancellor Bruce Bergland, the Faculty Organization Executive Committee proposes the following:
1. In consultation with the Deans and the Faculty Organization Executive Committee, the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs shall determine as quickly as possible, and no later than February 1, 2002, a limited number of faculty positions to be filled for Fall, 2002. These positions will be those that are deemed clearly critical to the university mission to be filled immediately. Searches to fill these positions shall commence the first week of February, 2002.
2. In consultation with the Senior Staff and the Faculty Organization Executive Committee, the Chancellor shall determine as quickly as possible, and no later than February 1, 2002, a limited number of administrative positions to be filled immediately or for 2002-03 fiscal year. These positions will be those that are deemed clearly critical to the university mission to be filled immediately or for next year.
3. Except for those positions authorized pursuant to Items 1 and 2 above, all academic and administrative positions will be "frozen" until Fall, 2003. "Frozen" means no search will be conducted, no position filled, and no implication will be drawn as to whether any position should be, or will be filled later pursuant to the planning process contemplated in Items 4 and 5 below.
4. The Faculty Organization shall establish an Academic Priorities Committee. The details of the committee's membership and election will be worked out by the Executive Committee and brought to the Faculty Organization for approval at the February, 2002 meeting. The committee shall work with the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Dean's Council in preparing a long-range plan for determining appropriate faculty composition and developing and maintaining a prioritized list of faculty staffing needs across the campus. The plan will be used to guide timely authorizations for faculty replacements and additions beginning with faculty hires for the Fall of 2003 and in subsequent years.
5. During the first week of October each year, the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs shall release a list of faculty positions authorized under this plan to be filled for the next academic year. Faculty positions authorized under this plan shall not in general be subject to subsequent budgetary negotiation.