Updated: Aug 10, 2001
Subject: Desktop Systems
Policy No: IUN IT-01
Created: August 9, 2001 DRAFT 2
Distribution and Support of Desktop Systems at IUN
To clarify who is eligible for a desktop system, when upgrades may occur, and what support is available for the variety of desktop systems currently deployed at IU Northwest campus.
IU Northwest currently budgets to provide “Life Cycle” funding for computers used by faculty and staff. This Life Cycle funding is to be used to ensure that full-time faculty and staff have access to an up to date system on their desktop with a hardware warrantee. Sufficient funding is provided in the budget to replace a desktop IBM PC system once every 3 years (4 years for a Macintosh due to the cost of a typical Macintosh). Questions and problems have arisen over a variety of issues related to the deployment, replacement, and support of desktop systems. Furthermore, due to budget constraints, IU Northwest’s Information Technology Services (ITS) department can no longer provide a full level of support for all desktop systems on campus.
- The Executive Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs shall ascertain with guidance from departmental heads, and directors, exactly how many desktop systems are required for faculty and academic staff on a per department basis. Other Vice Chancellors shall follow the same procedures for allocating desktop systems in their respective areas.
- Each Vice Chancellor will ensure with the VCIT that $350.00 per year per IBM PC and $500 per year per Apple Macintosh is allocated in the ITS Life Cycle funding budget for each and every desktop system that is deployed in their departments through the Life Cycle funding program. These systems will be clearly labeled as such and will be tracked by ITS. The total number of desktop systems at IUN placed under Life Cycle funding may not exceed the amount budgeted.
- When a faculty or staff person leaves employment at IUN, the desktop system will be retrieved by ITS for rebuilding and redeployment. The department head will be responsible for ensuring that documents and other files deemed important to the department are backed up before the system is removed for rebuilding. ITS will be responsible for redeploying the desktop system.
- Systems will be purchased by ITS from a brand name vendor with a hardware warranty from the vendor through the duration of the life cycle. Damages due to misuse will be billed to the department.
- Old desktop systems are retired and disposed by ITS at the end of their life cycle.
- Departments or other affiliated units on campus may choose to buy additional desktop systems beyond those funded through Life Cycle funding. ITS will coordinate and approve all microcomputer and peripheral device purchases. Systems or peripheral devices purchased without ITS approval will not be installed or supported by ITS. Departments or units that purchased these systems or devices will be solely responsible for both hardware and software installation and support of these systems. ITS may chose to provide limited support for a fee if technician time is available.
- IU Northwest currently has a number of non-brand name systems deployed on campus. All full-time faculty and staff should currently have a name brand desktop system under warranty. On January 1, 2002 ITS will stop supporting both the hardware and software on the non-brand name systems on campus. Departments or units currently using these systems can choose to retire the system or replace the system with a new system under Life Cycle funding by applying for a written addition to the Life Cycle funding base for those systems through their Vice Chancellor. Senior Staff will make the final decision on additions to the Life Cycle funding budget for microcomputers.
- Departments may request an additional desktop system under Life Cycle funding by applying for a written addition to the Life Cycle funding base for desktop systems through their Vice Chancellor. Senior Staff will make the final decision on additions to the Life Cycle funding budget for desktop systems.
3400 Broadway - Gary, Indiana 46408