Free income tax return assistance and filing for qualifying individuals is available at Indiana University Northwest from Monday, Feb. 2 until Friday, Feb. 27 and from March 29 to April 9.
Located in Hawthorn Hall lobby. Hours are:
Mondays and Fridays from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Tuesdays (March 30 and April 6 only) from Noon to 2 p.m.
Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursdays (Feb. 5, Feb. 12, April 8 only) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
No appointments are needed, individuals are asked to sign in during service hours. Only those earning under $50,000 may participate. All returns are electronically filed and most refunds are received by the end of the following week. Students from the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program will help prepare and file federal and state returns. Individuals are asked to bring all of their form W-2's, 1099's, Social Security and government payments and any other notices of income, mortgage interest, taxes paid, contribution, rents paid, the name and address of landlords and any other tax related information.
Please bring all family and dependent social security numbers and birthdates.
VITA students are trained by the Internal Revenue Service to help the community prepare tax returns. Students work directly with the community under the direction of faculty and the IRS. The goals of the program include the following:
• Students obtain practical income tax knowledge.
• Students gain professional experience in dealing directly with the public.
• Students work with regulatory agencies.
• Students are directly involved with the community and provide free community services.
• Students are participating in the IU Northwest Shared Vision by enjoying cultural discovery and help sustain the vitality of the region by enriching the lives of citizens.
• Students learn critical thinking skills by solving complex regulatory problems.
Sponsored by the IU Northwest School of Business and Economics, the Accounting and Business Student Organization and the IRS For more information, please call(219) 980-6552.