VISCLOSKY, INDIANA UNIVERSITY NORTHWEST TEAM UP FOR
STEEL CRISIS SUMMIT ON APRIL 24, 2001
Washington, DC – On Tuesday, April 24, 2001, Indiana University Northwest (IUN) will be presenting a conference entitled “The American Steel Industry in Crisis” in conjunction with Congressman Pete
Visclosky (IN-01), Vice-Chairman of the Congressional Steel Caucus. The summit, which will take place beginning at 7:45 a.m. in the Savannah Center Auditorium on the campus of IUN, will further the ongoing dialogue about how best to tackle the steel import crisis that continues to plague the domestic steel industry.
Tuesday, April 24, 2001, from 7:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Savannah Center Auditorium, on the campus of Indiana University Northwest in Gary, Indiana
7:45 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. Continental Breakfast
8:30 a.m. to 8:35 a.m. Welcome – Dr. Bruce W. Bergland, IUN Chancellor
8:35 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Panel, with question and answer period, entitled “The National Dilemma”
· Congressman Pete Visclosky -- Moderator
· Mr. George Becker, Chairman, Stand Up For Steel Coalition
· Mr. Andrew G. Sharkey, III, President and CEO, American Iron and Steel Institute
· Dr. Gary Lynch, IUN Professor of Economics
9:45 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Break
10:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Panel, with question and answer period, entitled “The Threat to Hoosier Communities”
· Lt. Governor Joe Kernan – Moderator of Panel
· Ms. Beth Kaminski, President and CEO, Ancilla Health System
· Mr. Dave Bochnowski, President and CEO, People's Bank
· Mr. Joe Turner, President, Primary Energy: A NiSource Subsidiary
· Mr. Jack Parton, Director, United Steelworkers of America District 7
· Dr. Stephen Hewlett, Superintendent, Duneland School Corp.
11:15 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Concluding Remarks
Roxane Geraci, Indiana University Northwest, 219-980-6686