New Web-Based Library Online Catalog Will Arrive January 4
Beginning in January 2001, the Indiana University Libraries' online
catalog system, IUCAT will sport a new look. According to a recent IU Libraries'
press release, the new Unicorn web-based catalog produced by the SIRSI
Corporation will offer the following features:
The new record management system will also change how the library
orders, catalogs and loans books and other materials. For more details
about accessing, using and searching this new web-based version of IUCAT,
check upcoming issues of Library
Web News as additional information becomes available.
- A fully integrated system that allows the user to move easily
between IUCAT, Web resources and Windows applications.
- The ability to search the IU Libraries' resources on all campuses.
- Links to electronic journals and indexes.
- The ability to limit searches by campus or department library.
- A graphical interface which allows the patron to cut and paste information
to other Web and Windows applications such as e-mail and word processing
NOTE: Due to these significant changes in the online catalog system,
new items will not be shelved and/or processed in November and December. If
you find a record in IUCAT that reads On Order or In Process,
please consult the library staff for further information.
, Library News Web Editor