Professional Licensure and Certifications|Field(s) of Competence|Grants and Awards
Professional Memberships|Professional Service|Refereed Presentations|
- Certificate, Distance Education. School of Continuing Studies, Indiana University, March 2003.
- PhD, Nursing Sciences, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. Major area of study was in cardiovascular disease and quality of life within a stress context. Dissertation: Hostility, heart disease threat appraisal and quality of life after treatment for heart disease, May, 1997.
- MS, Adult Health Nursing, Clinical Nurse Specialist, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, Indiana, May 1987.
- BSN, Family Nurse Practitioner Program, Purdue University Calumet, Hammond, Indiana, May 1984.
- Diploma, Nursing, Parkview-Methodist School of Nursing, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, May 1976.
- 2012 - present: Director, School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 2010 - Professor School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 2010 - present:Adjunct Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine--Northwest
- 2008 - present Associate Dean, College of Health and Human Services
- 2003 - 2010: Associate Professor, School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 2008 - 2010: Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine--Northwest
- 2006 - 2008 Faculty Assistant to the Chancellor, Interim Organizing Coordinator, College of Health and Human Services, Indiana University Northwest.
- 2003 - 2006: Associate Dean, School of Nursing and Health Professions, Indiana University Northwest
- 2001 - 2003: Curriculum Coordinator, School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 1999 - 2001: Coordinator of Clinical and Community Affiliations, School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 1997 - 2003: Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 1989 - 1997: Lecturer, Division of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- 1984 - 1986: 1987-1989: Adjunct Lecturer, Division of Nursing, Indiana University Northwest
- RN, Indiana (active)
- RN, Illinois (active)
- CNE (Certified Nurse Educator), National League for Nursing (current)
- Stress, Quality of life, Nursing Research, Adult Health Nursing, Cardiovascular Nursing
- American Nurses Association
- Indiana State Nurses Association (ISNA)
- National League for Nursing
- Indiana League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau Alpha-at-large Chapter
- Delunas, L., Hobson, C., Kini, R., and Rouse, S. Indiana University Regional Research Grant “A web based study of stressful life events and health outcomes,” $5,200, February 2010.
- Rooda, L. and Delunas, L. New Careers in Nursing Scholarship Program Grant, Robert Woods Johnson Foundation, $50,000, May 2009.
- Delunas, L., Rouse, S., Anderson, J. & Anderson, M. TeamSTEPPS Interdisciplinary Training Project, AHEC grant $4,500, April 2009.
- Delunas, L., Intensive Writing Course Development Grant, Indiana University Northwest Office of Academic Affairs, $1,000, May 2007
- Delunas, L. AHEC grant for 5 Dell Computers for the Nursing Learning Resource Center, $5,000, December 2005
- Delunas, L. AHEC grant for production (with Professor Josy Petr) of instructional DVD and workbook on Dimensional Analysis; $1,700, August 2005
- Delunas, L. AHEC grant for collaboration with Methodist Hospitals for new nurse graduate orientation in the IUN NLRC, $1,100 June 2005.
- Secured in-kind donation of two cardiac/hemodynamic monitors for NLRC from Datascope Corporation; $20,000; June 2005.
- Delunas, L. AHEC grant for purchase of student supplies, $15,000, June 2004.
- Rooda, L. & Delunas, L. Enhancing the Academic Success of Minority and Educationally Under-prepared Nursing Students; IU Office of Diversity/ IUN Office of Diversity/IUN Office of Academic Affairs; $16,000; June 2003.
- Delunas, L. and Hobson, C. Indiana University Northwest Grant-in-Aid ($1,500), March 2000. For continued work on program of research Assessment of stress in the United States utilizing the Social Readjustment Rating Scale-Revised (SRRS-R)
- Hobson, C. and Delunas, L. Indiana University Northwest, Internal Research Grant ($6,000); Assessment of stress in the United States utilizing the Social Readjustment Rating Scale-Revised (SRRS-R), November 1999.
- Indiana University Overseas Conference Fund Travel Support Award (700), 1999.
- Summer Faculty Fellowship ($5,000) for development of an ASN program competency/content grid; IU Northwest, 1998.
Honors and Awards
- Elizabeth M. Lion Award for Distinguished University Service, Indiana University School of Nursing, August, 2008.
- W. George Pinnell Award for Outstanding Service, Indiana University, April, 2006.
- Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Outstanding Service Activity Award, Indiana University Northwest, Spring, 2006
- Outstanding Educator Award, bestowed by RN-BSN graduating class, 2005
- Best Conference Paper Presentation -- Hobson, C., Delunas, L., Rosetti, D. Identifying “at-risk” individuals for stressful life-events as a function of four primary demographic factors. National Business and Economics Society Fifth Annual Conference. March 10, 2004; Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Excellence in Education Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Chapter, 2003.
- FACET Award/Member, Indiana University, 2001.
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University Northwest, 2001
- Finalist, Indiana University Northwest Founder’s Day Teaching Award, 2001.
- Outstanding Instructor, bestowed by BSN graduating class 2001.
- Outstanding Instructor, bestowed by ASN graduating class 2000.
- Outstanding Instructor, bestowed by ASN graduating class 1999.
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, IU Northwest, 1999.
- Outstanding Instructor, bestowed by ASN graduating class 1998.
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, IU Northwest, 1998.
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nursing
- Who’s Who in American Nursing
- Member, NLNAC Accreditation Steering Committee, 2007-2008
- Ambassador, National League for Nursing
- Member, Search and Screen Committee for Faculty Position, School of Nursing and Health Professions, 2002; 2003; 2005; 2006
- Faculty Advisor, Student Nurses’ Association, 2000-2005.
- President, Local Council of Nursing Faculty, Spring 1997-1999.
University System School of Nursing:
- President, University Nursing Faculty, 2005-2007
- Member, Search and Screen Committee for University System School Dean, July 2002-2003
- Chair, Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2001-2004
- Member, Governing Council, University Council of Nursing Faculty, 1999-2004
Collegeof Health and Human Services
- Chair, Faculty Review and Reappointment Committee
- Member, Promotion and Tenure Committee (development of policies and procedures only)
- Member, Bylaws Committee
Indiana University Northwest Campus
- Faculty Assistant to the Chancellor, 2006-2008
- Co-chair, Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) Steering/Coordinating Committee 2006-present
- Oncourse Faculty Mentor, 2005-present
- Member, General Education/Assessment Committee, 2005-present
- At-large Member, Faculty Organization Executive Committee, 2005-present
- Member, FACET Selection Committee 2004-2009.
- (Founding) Member, Advisory Board, IUN Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, 2002-2008
- Member, Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects, 1997-present (Co-chair Fall 2008)
- Member, Strategic Planning Team, 2002-2005; 2006-2008
- Member, “Enhancing Minority Attainment” self study/peer review project, IU Northwest, 2007
- Member, College of Health and Human Services Task Force, 2006-2008
- Member, Executive Committee, Faculty Organization, 2000-2004 (SONHP representative)
- Member, Survey and Curriculum Committee, 1997-present
- Member, Campus Promotion and Tenure Committee 2003 -2006
- Member, Strategic Outcomes 1 and 6 Committees, 2005
- Chair/Sponsor, Strategic Outcome 1 Committee, 2004
- Member, Facilities Planning Committee, June 2002-2005
- Chair, Survey and Curriculum Committee, 1997-98, 2007-2008, 2009-2010
- Member, IU Northwest Chancellor Search and Screen Committee 2009-2010
- Member, Graduate Faculty, 1998-present
- Member, Oncourse Priorities Committee, 2005-present (invited)
- Member, Podcasting Initiative Grant Selection Committee, 2008 (invited)
- Member, Information Technology Strategic Plan II, Student Success Task Force, 2008 (invited)
- Member, Institutional Review Board, Northwest Indiana Medical Research Consortium, 2007-2008
- Ambassador, National League for Nursing; 2007-present
- Member, Scholarship Committee, Indiana League for Nursing, 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10
- Reviewer, Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2004-present
Community and Public Service:
- Member, Northwest Indiana Patient Safety Coalition, 2009-2010
- Volunteer Statistician (Quality Improvement Data), Gary Community Health Center, 2005-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Hospice of the Calumet, 2005-present
- Member, Quality Management Committee, Hospice of the Calumet, 2005-present
- Member, Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement Committee, St. Mary Medical Center 2002-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Healthy East Chicago, 2002-2004
Anderson, W., Delunas, L., Rouse, S., Anderson, J., & Bankston, P. Interprofessional Student Healthcare Teams: Improving healthcare quality from the ground up. Central Group on Educational Affairs of the Association of American Medical Colleges, Poster Presentation, Chicago IL, April 2010
Delunas, L., Rouse, S., Anderson, J., & Anderson, M. Breaking Down Silos: Interprofessional Education. National League for Nursing Education Summit: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; September, 2009.
Petr, J. & Delunas, L. It’s Not Just the Students: A Multifaceted Approach to Improving NCLEX-RN Pass Rates. National League for Nursing Education Summit: New York, New York; September, 2006
Delunas, L. & Bergland, B. Growing Pains: The Introduction of Continuous Planning in a Maturing Institution. Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities Conference: Miami, Florida, October, 2006
Hobson, C., Delunas, L., Rosetti, D. Identifying “at-risk” individuals for stressful life-events as a function of four primary demographic factors. National Business and Economics Society Fifth Annual Conference. March 10, 2004; Honolulu, Hawaii.
Delunas, L. Gender differences in life events stree utilizing an updated Social Readjustment Rating Scale: Results from a large-scale sample of the U.S. population. Midwest Nursing Research Society 25th Annual Research Conference, Cleveland, Ohio (March, 2001).
Delunas, L. Mood and functioning in patients prior to coronary angiography. Northwest Indiana Nursing Research Consortium Research Conference, Merrillville, IN. (November 2000).
Hobson, C., Delunas, L., and Kesic, D. A new Stressful Live Events Questionnaire for use in employee training. Applied Business Research Conference, Denver, CO. (August 1999).
Nardi, D. and Delunas, L. Development and use of the Parenting Tracking Form in perinatal addiction treatment. 38th International Congress on Alcohol, Drugs and other Dependencies, Vienna, Austria (August, 1999).*Delunas, L. Hostility, threat appraisal and quality of life after treatment for heart disease. Midwest Nursing Research Society 22nd Annual Research Conference; Columbus, Ohio (March, 1998)
Delunas, L. (1990). Prevention of elder abuse: Betty Neuman Health Care Systems approach. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 4, 54-58.
Delunas, L. (1996). Beyond Type A: Hostility and heart disease. Implications for research and practice. Rehabilitation Nursing, 21, 196-201.
Delunas, L. and Potempa K. (1999). Adaptation after treatment of heart disease: Preliminary examination within a stress appraisal context. Heart and Lung, 28, 186-194.
Nardi, D. and Delunas, L. (2000). Development, preliminary testing and use of the Parenting Tracking Form in perinatal addiction treatment. Addiction Research, 8, 399-412.
Jordan, M. and Delunas, L (2001). Quality of life and patterns of non-traditional therapy use by patients with cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 28, 1107-1113.
Hobson, C., Delunas, L., and Kesic, D. (2001). Compelling evidence of the need for corporate work-life balance initiatives: Results from a national survey of stressful life-events. Journal of Employment Counseling, 38, 38-44
Hobson, C., Kesic, D. and Delunas, L. (2001). A framework for redesigning or fine-tuning your benefit package: Results from a national survey of stressful life-events. Benefits Quarterly, 17(3), 46-50.
Hobson, C. and Delunas, L. (2001). National Norms and life-events frequencies for the Revised Social Readjustment Rating Scale. International Journal of Stress Management, 8, 299-314.
Hobson., C. Kesic, D., Rosetti, D. Delunas, L. & Hobson, N. (2004). Motivating employee commitment with empathy and support during stressful life events. In’l J. of Management, 21. 332-337.
Delunas, L. & Bergland, B. (2007). The introduction of continuous planning in a maturing institution. Metropolitan Universities, 18, 16-25.
Invited Contributing Author (test items), Billings, D. (Ed.) (2008): Lippincott’s Content Review for NCLEX-RN, 1E. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
Hobson, C. and Delunas, L. (2009). Efficacy of different techniques for reducing stress: A study among business students in the United States. International Journal of Management, 26, 186-196.
Delunas, L. & Rooda, L. (2009). A model for clinical instruction of undergraduate nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives, 30, 377-380.
Rouse, S., Delunas, L., Anderson, W., and Anderson, J. (2010). Interprofessional education: Development of an interdisciplinary health care team project at a Midwestern U.S. university. Journal of International Association of Medical Science Educators, 20, 276-280.
Delunas, L. and Rouse, S. (Submitted November 2011). Health care students’ attitudes about interprofessional communication and collaboration before and after an interprofessional education experience. Nursing Education Perspectives
Co-editor/Contributing author (2009). (With Dr. Cynthia O’Dell), IU Northwest Systems Portfolio v2 (submitted November 2009). (Author, Category 8, Planning Continuous Improvement); Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP).
Co-editor/Contributing author (2007). (With Dr. Robin Hass Birky), IU Northwest Living Systems Portfolio, at www.iun.edu/~aqip for Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP). Reaffirmation of accreditation spring 2009.
Contributing author (2007). IU Northwest School of Nursing Accreditation Self-study for National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLN-AC) accreditation (full continuing accreditation awarded spring 2008).
Petr, J. & Delunas, L. (2005). Dimensional Analysis student DVD and workbook (in-house production; supported by AHEC grant, 2005).
Delunas, L. (2004). Instructor Power-Point Slides to accompany Trochim, W. (2005). Research methods: The concise knowledge base. Atomic Dog Publishing, Cincinnati, OH.
Invited Contributing Author (test items), Rayfield, S. and Manning, L. (Eds) (2001 through 2010): NCLEX-RN 101: How to pass! (4th through 7th Editions). ICAN Publishers, Shreveport, LA.