Skip to main navigation Skip to page content
Professor Julie Peller
Current Research Projects:
- Investigations into Chemical Markers associated with Bacterial Contamination of Natural Waters (Support from Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant).
- Chemical Analyses of Oriental Bittersweet and Native Bittersweet Collected along the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore (Partial support from USGS).
- Hydroxyl radical oxidation of sulfa drugs and other organic contaminants.
- Hydroxyl radical oxidation of model compounds in different quality wastewaters.
- Investigations into the Photocatalytic Destruction of Cladophora Using TiO2 and Modified TiO2 (seasonal!).
Recent and Current Research Conferences:
- Radiation Chemistry in the 21st Century, University of Notre Dame. July 2009.
- ACS Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Lincolnshire, IL, May 15, 2009. Chemical Markers to Determine High Bacteria Counts in Southern Lake Michigan.
- Association for Environmental Health and Science Conference, San Diego, CA., March 2009.
- International Conference on Water Scarcity, Global Changes, and Groundwater Management Response, University of California, Irvine, US, December 1-5, 2008.
- Great Lakes Beach Association Conference, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, September 15-17, 2008, Student Posters.
- International Congress of Radiation Research, Invited Talk (July 9, 2007) San Francisco, CA . Hydroxyl Radical Removal Efficiencies of Model Organic Contaminants in Different Quality Wastewaters
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), Poster Presentation (November 13, 2007). Advanced Oxidation Processes in the Treatment of Contaminant Candidate List (CCL) Compounds
- IU Northwest COAS 4th Annual Research Conference (November 15,16, 2007)
- Elovitz, M.S., Shemer, H. Peller, J.R., Vinodgopal, K., Sivaganesan, M., Linden, K.G. Hydroxyl Radical Rate Constants: Comparing UV/H2O2 and Pulse Radiolysis for Environmental Pollutants. AQUA (Journal of Water Supply: Research and Tecnhology), 2008, p. 391-401.
- Peller, Julie R., Mezyk, Stephen P., Cooper, William J. Bisphenol A Reactions with the Hydroxyl Radical: Diverse Pathways Determined between Deionized Water and Tertiary Treated Wastewater Solutions. Accepted for publication: Research on Chemical Intermediates, 2009, 35, 21-34.
- Cooper, W.J., Mezyk, S.P., Peller, J. Cole, S.K., Song, W., Mincher, B.J. Studies in Radiation Chemistry: Application to Ozonation and other Advanced Oxidation Processes. Ozone: Science and Engineering, 2008, 30, 58-64.
- Stephen P. Mezyk, Thomas Neubauer, William J. Cooper, and Julie R. Peller; Free-Radical-Induced Oxidative and Reductive Degradation of Sulfa Drugs in Water: Absolute Kinetics and Efficiencies of Hydroxyl Radical and Hydrated Electron Reactions J. Phys. Chem. A, 2007; 111(37); 9019-9024.
- Julie R. Peller, Richard L. Whitman, Scott Griffith, Patricia Harris,Cassie Peller, Joanne Scalzitti; TiO2 as a Photocatalyst for Control of the Aquatic Invasive Alga, Cladophora, Under Natural and Artificial Light; Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 2007, 186, 212-217.
- Peller, J. and Kamat, P.V. Radiolytic Transformations of Chlorinated Phenols and Chlorinated Phenoxyacetic Acids; J. Phys. Chem. A.; 2005, 109 (42), 9528 -9535.
- Peller, J., Wiest, O. and Kamat, P. V.,Hydroxyl Radical's Role in the Remediation of a Common Herbicide, 2,4 Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) -Feature Article. J. Phys. Chem. A, 2004,108, 10925-10933.
- Peller, J., Kamat, P.V., Wiest, O. Synergy of Combining Sonolysis and Photocatalysis in the Degradation and Mineralization of Chlorinated Aromatic Compounds, Environmental Science & Technology, 2003; 37(9), 1926-1932.
- Julie Peller, Olaf Wiest*, and Prashant V. Kamat; Mechanism of Hydroxyl Radical-Induced Breakdown of the Herbicide 2,4- Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-D), Chem. Eur. J., 2003, 9, 5379-5387.
- K. Vinodgopal and Julie Peller; Hydroxyl Radical Mediated Advanced Oxidation Processes for Textile Dyes: A Comparison of the Radiolytic and Sonolytic Degradation of the Monoazo Dye, Acid Orange 7. Research in Chemical Intermediates, 2003, 29, 307-316.
- Peller, J., Wiest, O., Kamat, P. 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid in Aqueous Solutions. Evidence for OH-Radical Mediated Degradation, J. Phys. Chem. A, 2001, 105(13), 3176-3181.
- Naomi L. Stock, Julie Peller, K. Vinodgopal, and Prashant V. Kamat*; Combinative Sonolysis and Photocatalysis for Textile Dye Degradation, Environmental Science & Technology; 2000; 34(9); 1747-1750.
- Vinodgopal, K., Peller, J., K., Makogon,O., Kamat, P. Ultrasonic Mineralization of a Reactive Textile Azo Dye, Remazol Black B, Water Research, 1998, 32, (12) 3646-3650.