The principal mission of the Urban Teacher Education Program (UTEP) is to create a cooperative and supportive teacher training environment in which university faculty and classroom teacher can work as partners in urban schools to create a professional community committed to:
- Principles, knowledge, and practices that are an integral part of effective teacher training;
- The acquisition of skills and roles that a beginning teacher needs to become certified to teach effectively in an urban classroom;
- Improvement of conditions that are conducive to effective teaching and learning in the classroom;
- Reflection as a key to the performance and improvement of professional practice;
- Seeing teaching as worthy of extended study and the pursuit of lifelong professional improvement.