CATERING PROCEDURES – Office of Special Events
Catering orders from Comforts Catering must go through the Office of Special Events (OSE).
- Please allow at least two (2) weeks – ten (10) business days – prior to your event to order catering from Comforts Catering to ensure that all paperwork and arrangements for catering are completed.
- Orders for catering one (1) week – five (5) business days – prior to an event will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that Catering may not be able to accommodate a request on short notice.
- Orders for catering two (2) business days (48 hours) prior to an event will not be considered.
STEPS TO COMPLETE A CATERING ORDER
- Call or email the Office of Special Events with your request at least two (2) weeks in advance.
- Please provide the following information:
- Building and room number event is to take place (please make sure you have an approved reservation before proceeding)
- Number of guests
- Time to deliver, serve and break down food service
- Do you want servers at your event, do you want linen and skirting for your buffet and/or speaker tables
- Category of food you require – breakfast, reception, luncheon, dinner – OSE will help you with the menu should you need advice
- OSE will obtain a quote and fax it to you for your approval.
- Fax back a signed copy of the approved quote with either a completed and approved Billing or Hospitality Form so we can confirm the order with Comforts.
- Changes to guest numbers must be made no later than seventy-two (72) hours in advance.
- Changes to menu selections must be made no later than one (1) week in advance.
CATERING FORMS – must be completed prior to event
- If using a university account (06-xxx-xx, 23-xxx-xx, etc.) a Hospitality form must be filled out and all approvals must be obtained. A copy of a completed form must be sent to the Office of Special Events before a catering order is confirmed. http://www.iun.edu/fiscal-affairs/forms/docs/Hospitality_Request_Form.pdf
- If using a Foundation account, please complete a Billing Form found on the following Special Events website and send this to OSE with an approved signature.
- PLEASE NOTE: One of these completed and approved forms must be in the Office of Special Events before your catering order is confirmed with Comforts; failure to do so may result in not having catering for your event.
Information regarding Meal Tickets
- Please allow one (1) week – five (5) business days – prior to your event to ensure that all paperwork and arrangements with catering are completed.
- Either a Billing Form or a Hospitality Form must be filled out for meal tickets.
- The Office of Special Event must be notified if you will be using meal tickets at your event in order to inform Comforts of the use of tickets and increased volume at the Café, and to expedite payment to Comforts.
- Please provide OSE with a sample of the meal ticket you will be using.
- PLEASE NOTE: Meal tickets will not be honored at the Café if the Office of Special Events has not initiated the process.
Catering other than Comforts
- Fill out a Hospitality form if you are using a university account to cover the charges. This form must be completed and sent to the Office of Special Events to be kept on file.
- Make any arrangements for pick up or delivery of food from approved food service providers, distribution of food, clean up, etc.,. Food service guidelines must be followed.
- Clean up after your event is necessary. (Leaving trash on tables, food in the room, etc., may result in loss of future room reservation privileges.)
- For use of a food service provider not on the list, a copy of that establishment’s current Board of Health inspection report must accompany a Temporary Food Service Application.
- A Temporary Food Service Application must be completed and an approved copy must be sent to the Office of Special Events to be kept on file. http://www.ehs.indiana.edu/Food_Protect/TemporaryApplication.pdf
For more information regarding Hospitality Guidelines visit: http://www.iun.edu/fiscal-affairs/hospitality.htm
For more information regarding Food Service safety and a list of approved food service providers, visit:
For more information regarding these guidelines or to request a catering quote, contact the Office of Special Events – 219-980-6803 or 219-980-7763.