The M.S.W. program was brought to the Indiana University Northwest campus in 1996 and graduated its first class in 2000. The MSW degree allows you to move into a broad variety of social service settings. These include those concerned with aging, family and child welfare, corrections, mental and physical health, communities, political change and analysis, and school adjustment. A key component of the MSW program is the field component of the curriculum which provides internship experiences throughout northwest Indiana where you would engage in services to individuals, groups, families, and communities or function in planning and management roles.
The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredits both the Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work Programs. This accreditation makes graduates eligible to sit for the state licensing exams at both the LSW and LCSW levels.
Part Time Evening Program
The part time evening program at Indiana University Northwest enables you to complete the foundation and intermediate curriculum (the first 30 credit hours of the program) over two calendar years. Students begin the program in late August. Part time evening students are required to complete the concentration Curriculum (the final 30 credit hours of the program) with most classes and internships held during the week (usually Monday through Thursday). The complete program requires at least three calendar years, although students may elect to extend course work and internships up to four years.
Advanced Standing Program
If you hold an undergraduate social work degree you are eligible to apply for the advanced standing program provided you:
- Graduated within the last five years from a baccalaureate social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- Successfully completed a statistics course.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in all social work courses taken prior to admissions committee action.
- Evidence the characteristics and/or potential required for competent social work practice.
- Submit a reference from a full-time faculty member of the applicant's undergraduate program.
If admitted to the advanced standing program, you can complete the MSW degree part time within two years.