Campus pedestrians are advised to follow these safety precautions when crossing Broadway or other streets adjacent to campus:
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks and intersections.
- Stop and look every time before crossing the street.
- Use pedestrian push buttons and obey “walk” and “don’t walk” signals.
- Make eye contact with drivers to confirm they see you. Never assume they do, even with eye contact.
Drivers are also an important factor in improving safety for pedestrians and other motorists. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) advises motorists to obey the posted speed limit on Broadway of 30 MPH and to look for pedestrians crossing Broadway between 33rd and 35th Avenues.
Drivers need to:
- Slow down and obey the posted speed limit.
- Always look for pedestrians, especially when turning at an intersection with a traffic light.
- Look for stopped vehicles; they could be stopping for pedestrians. Indiana law requires all vehicles to stop if approaching a vehicle from the rear that has stopped at a crosswalk for a pedestrian.