Foreign Language Placement
- Students who have a strong foreign language background should consider taking the test.
- Students who have already completed a college level foreign language course or dual credit/AP test credit, may not take the placement test in that language.
- It is a pencil and paper test and is sent to Bloomington for scoring. There is, at least, a two week turn around time to receive the scores. Due to time and volume, tests are not offered after the first week in August for fall registration and not offered after December 15th for spring registration.
- The tests available at IU Northwest are French, German, and Spanish. For other languages the student must contact the appropriate language department on the Bloomington campus.
- Students who have no previous college course work and take the test during their first or second semester will not be charged for any course credit earned.
- Transfer students who take the test during their first semester will be charged $21.00 for any course credit earned.
- All other students will be assessed the regular credit hour fee at the appropriate resident or non-resident rate.
- For more information about languages at IU Northwest please visit Department of Modern Languages.