Dorinda M. Sattler, MJ, RHIA, CHPS, CPHRM
College of Health and Human Services
Office: MP 2150
Online Course offered:
HIM M410 Computer Systems in Healthcare
This is a required professional course for Health Information Administration students. Student will learn to apply the systems development life cycle in system implementations and updates integrating project management theory. Evaluation and implementation of national health information initiatives and standards are discussed at length in this course. The examination of the concepts of data security, integrity, validity, and data quality monitoring are completed.
This course is designed to assure that graduates will be able to demonstrate performance of AHIMA’s Health Information Management Baccalaureate Degree Entry-level Competencies of Domains I.A., III.A, IV.A, B, and C.
For a complete Description for this course, click on the Course Syllabus tab.
- Discuss the use of standards to achieve interoperability of healthcare information systems.
- Evaluate and implement national health information initiatives in the healthcare delivery system for application to information systems policies and procedures.
- Analyze system selection processes and evaluate and recommend various applications for healthcare systems.
- Apply the systems development life cycle to the implementation of health information systems.
- Apply knowledge of data base architecture and design to meet organizational needs for implementation of health information systems.
- Monitor the use of clinical vocabularies and terminologies used in an organization’s health information systems.
- Apply knowledge of database querying and data mining techniques to facilitate information retrieval.
- Outline data security protection methods.
- Evaluate department and organizational data and information system security policies.
- Recommend elements that must be included in the design of audit trails and data quality monitoring programs.
- Recommend elements that should be included in the design and implementation of risk assessment, contingency planning, and data recovery procedures.
For a complete Goals and Objectives for this course, click on the Course Syllabus tab.
- Read all assigned chapters prior to completing online assignments and/or forum posting discussions.
- Listen to several pre-recorded lectures prior to completing online assignments and/or forum posting discussions.
- Complete online mid-term and final exams.
- Complete several small projects during the course of the semester.
For a complete Activities for this course, click on the Course Syllabus tab.
INDIANA UNIVERSITY NORTHWEST | COLLEGE OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
HIM M410: Computer Systems in Healthcare
Online Course Syllabus
Instructor: Dorinda M. Sattler, MJ, RHIA, CHPS, CPHRM
Office: Dunes/Medical Professional Building Room 2150
Phone: (219) 981-4209