Student Project Submissions
The One Book . . . One Campus . . . One Community invites submissions for student projects related to this year’s one book selection The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for the 2017 Chancellor’s Prize.
Deadline for submissions is Jan. 31, 2017!
The first-place winner will be given $100 to use the IU Northwest Bookstore; the second place winner will be given $75 to use the bookstore, and the third place winner will be given $50 to use at the bookstore. All winners will also receive a plaque and an invitation to present at the COAS Conference in the spring of 2017 as part of a special panel on Henrietta Lacks.
Submissions are welcome from the following categories:
1. Scholarly Essays
2. Personal Essays
4. Performing and Visual Arts
All submissions will be judged by a panel of faculty members. They will follow these criteria:
1. The submission should show a clear connection to Skloot’s The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.
2. The submission should be clearly organized.
3. The submission should be thoughtfully constructed.
4. The submissions that are not essays should be accompanied by a short statement of purpose.
1. Only one submission per student enrolled at Indiana University Northwest.
2. Projects or notice of projects should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Written projects should be submitted in two forms. One should contain the student’s information, and one should not have any identifying information.
The projects could vary widely. Here are a few examples of what the judges are imagaining:
1. An academic essay on Skloot’s The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks that examines bias in the sciences.
2. A poster project on HeLa cells.
3. A fictional presentation of Lacks’ reaction to the use of her cells.