Simulation Learning Center (SLC)
The SLC is committed to providing a safe and effective environment for experiential learning through innovation and best-evidence in collaboration with university and community partners.
- Simulation is integrated across the nursing curriculum
- Interprofessional collaboration through simulation is recognized as integral to student learning and is done in partnership with
- nursing and other university programs
- nursing and the community
- Multiple levels of scenarios are provided that integrate Quality and Safety Education for Nurses into patient care
About Mannequin-based Simulations at IUN
IUN has a SimMan Essential, five VitalSims, eight static mannequins and multiple task trainers including an IV simulator. Students participate in simulations from sophomore through senior year.
The main goal of the Simulation Center is to improve safety within patient care. However, in addition to patient safety, we focus on:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Reaction to pressure during simulations
- Reaction to feedback during and after simulations
- Psychomotor skills
- Critical thinking and clinical reasoning and judgment
Mannequin-based simulations use high and medium fidelity simulators; mannequins breathe, have breath sounds, heart tones, and palpable pulses. The mannequins have a monitor that can display EKG, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, arterial wave forms, pulmonary artery wave forms, etc. Many procedures can be performed on the simulators such as CPR, bag-mask ventilation, intubation, defibrillation, wound care, insertion of tubes and drains, and others.
Simulations allow future nurses and healthcare professionals to practice with the realism of mannequin-based simulations with virtual feedback using computer technology. The computers regulate the mannequins mimicking pulses, heart tones, breathing, and vital signs in real time.
By practicing realistic clinical skills in a safe and regulated environment, future nurses learn excellent assessment, treatment and evaluation techniques.
Jo Newman, RN, MS, FNP, Nursing Resource Learning Center, Manager
Rosalinda De Luna, RN, MSN, CCRN, CHSE Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator