Monday Aug 20, 2012
Indiana University Northwest’s Fall 2012 semester begins on Monday, Aug. 27, but not without some fun and games to welcome both new and returning students. During the first few weeks of class, the campus will be abuzz with food, games, live entertainment, and a community fundraiser benefitting the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana.
Week of August 27: Welcome Back Week
Monday, Aug. 27 & Tuesday, Aug. 28:
- To ensure all students are able to find their way around campus, greeters will be stationed at key points on the university grounds. A campus map, on-site food options and RedHawk Shuttle operations will be provided to all arriving on campus.
- Don’t forget to pick-up a ‘college survival kit’ complete with candy, gum, a RedHawk Athletic schedule, a Student Activities schedule and IU Northwest-branded items. The free RedHawk goody bags will be handed out to students during the first week of classes at various campus locations, while supplies last.
Thursday, Aug. 30
- Hungry? Stop by the Thrill of the Grill, a campuswide barbeque. Entertainment provided by Danika Holmes, an up and coming singer and songwriter from Iowa.
September 6: Charity Car Smash
School, family, or work stress in your life? Take it out at the IU Northwest Car Smash fundraiser!
The smashing event will take place from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 6 in the Savannah/Moraine courtyard. Those who offer a cash or non-perishable food donation will get a chance to take a swing at a junked car. All donated food will benefit the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana.
September 10, 11 & 12: Back 2 School Week
The week of September 10 has been named Back 2 School Week by the Office of Student Activities. Take advantage of this week to show some school spirit, meet some friends, and become involved at IU Northwest. Unless otherwise indicated, all events take place in the Savannah/Moraine courtyard.
Monday, Sept. 10:
- Enjoy the music of local DJ Lyle Freeman from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- From 12 until 1:30 p.m., listen to the sultry sounds of Hijos de Rythmo, a local salsa band.
- Various campus clubs and organizations will have information booths set up 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. IU Northwest student clubs and organizations such as the Broadway Drama Society, the Ice Hockey Club, or the Student Government Association will have members present to share information about their club’s missions, upcoming meetings and events.
- And, be on the lookout for an impromptu game of dodge ball.
Tuesday, Sept. 11
- DJ Lyle Freeman will be back for more beats from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Local contemporary rock back Titus Rhodes will also stop by campus for a concert from noon until 1:30 p.m.
- Campus clubs and organizations will also be out today.It’s time to get involved!
- And, looking for some more fun? Join in an impromptu game of water balloon dodge ball.
Wednesday, Sept. 12
- Last day to hear DJ Lyle Freeman on the Northwest campus from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Hungry? Check out the Thrill of the Grill barbeque in the John W. Anderson Library Conference Center Courtyard. Aaron and Chad of the Crawpuppies, a local band rock and alternative band, will provide the entertainment. Cost of the meal ranges between $3 and $5.
- This will be last day for the campus clubs and organizations fair. Don’t forget to sign up and get involved!
- Need something to do between classes? Join in the fun of an impromptu game of corn hole, tug-o-war, or bongo ball mania (rain location in the Savannah Gym).
Unlesss otherwise noted, the Savannah Center lobby has been designated as the rain location for all events taking place in the Savannah/Moraine courtyard.
To learn more about the Office of Student Activities, visit www.iun.edu/~stulife.