Dave and Louise Allard
For nearly 45 years, Dave and Louise Allard, of Olympia Fields, Ill., have been devoted Indiana University alumni. Dave, a Bloomington graduate, and Louise, a Northwest graduate, are exceptionally loyal Varsity Club members and active IU Alumni Association members. Additionally, they are especially generous both financially and with their time to IU Northwest.
Thanks, in great part to Louise’s father, former Mayor of Gary Peter Mandich, the IU Northwest campus’s current Glen Park location was realized. In 1955, Mayor Mandich appropriated 27 acres of Gleason Park for the campus.
As a way to remember Mayor Mandich’s lasting legacy and significant contribution to the campus, the Allards donated the “Ballast” sculpture to the campus’s Shadows and Echoes Sculpture garden.
David was a member of the IU Northwest Chancellor’s Society for 14 years, and is currently a member of the IU Northwest Board of Advisors.
E. Thomas “Tom” and Sylvia Collins
Tom and Sylvia Collins are residents and active community volunteers for their hometown of Gary, Ind. Sylvia, a proud IU alumna, earned a B.S. in elementary education from IU Bloomington and her M.S. in elementary education from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. Sylvia taught for 23 years in the Miller Beach, Portage and Indianapolis school systems.
Tom joined the Chicago-based real estate firm, Hiffman Shaffer Associates, Inc. in 1985 and, in 1993, was named President and Chief Operating Officer. He is co-founder of Reliant Group, Ltd. and Clark Street Development, and owner of Collins Interests, Ltd.
Sylvia and Tom have been involved with IU Northwest in various capacities, such as endowed scholarship donors, and members of the Chancellor’s Society, the Chancellor’s Commission for Community Engagement and the Board of Advisors. They have given endlessly to the future of our students.
They are also committed to IU as members of the 1820 Society, and the IU Foundation President’s Circle, to name a few.
Tom's nephew and two of his children attended IU Bloomington.
Albert “Al” Reichle and Lynn Gassoway Reichle
Albert “Al” Reichle and Lynn Gassoway Reichle, of Valparaiso, have a contagious enthusiasm for all things Indiana University.
Upon earning her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from Indiana University School of Dentistry in Indianapolis, Lynn built a thriving dental practice in Gary. She is the first woman to serve on the IU Northwest Chancellor’s Society, and recently became a member of the IU Northwest Board of Advisors. She also serves as a member of the IU School of Medicine-Northwest’s Advisory Board.
Lynn was elected to the IU Foundation Board of Directors and continues to serve in that capacity. She also works as a volunteer clinical professor at the Indiana University School of Dentistry. And, she received the highest distinction conferred on IU alumni, the Distinguished Alumni Service Award.
Al graduated from Valparaiso University and later earned his MBA from IU Northwest. He established a successful 33 year career with Transtar, a transportation conglomerate. Following his retirement, Al spent the next eight years as a Corporate Jet Captain. Since retiring from flying, he has been honing his musical skills playing the trumpet.
They were inducted into the IU Foundation President’s Circle, and retain ongoing membership in the Well House Society, the 1820 Society, the Arbutus Society and are life members of the IU Alumni Association.
Seeking meaningful ways to share their IU experience and success with others, Al and Lynn endowed a scholarship in the Wells Scholars Program.
Helping to preserve IU’s excellence, Al and Lynn endowed chairs in the Jacobs School of Music, and endowed scholarships to benefit future students in the Schools of Dentistry and Medicine, and Jacobs School of Music.
Community Foundation of Northwest Indiana, Inc. (CFNI)
CFNI is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides leadership and resources for the enhancement of health and the quality of life in Northwest Indiana.
At the heart of CFNI's charitable endeavors is the operation of Community Healthcare System, comprising three not-for-profit hospitals: Community Hospital in Munster; St. Catherine Hospital in East Chicago; and St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart.
Throughout its history, CFNI has supported a number of charitable ventures in Northwest Indiana, including IU Northwest and the IU School of Medicine-Northwest. Their scholarship support has been endless in ensuring that our students can earn their IU degree.
CFNI is also represented at the IU Northwest Chancellor’s Commission for Community Engagement. For years, they have been generous supporters of the annual IU Northwest Gala and the Chancellor’s Medallion Celebration.
Other community projects include the development of The Center for Visual and Performing Arts; creation of a not-for-profit foundation for cancer research, operation of the Cancer Resource Centre; donation of land and more than $3.5 million to create the Community Veterans Memorial; and Hartsfield Village.