Who May Borrow Materials?
- Indiana University Students
- Indiana University Staff
- Indiana University Faculty
- Indiana Residents who have a valid IU Library Card
Getting an IU Library Card
- Students, Staff, and Faculty should use their RedHawk card. The barcode on the card also serves as your library card.
- Indiana residents may get a library card at the Circulation Desk at any time the library is open. To get a card you will need to show either:
- Current Indiana Driver's License
- Current Indiana State Identification
- Indiana Residents -- 30 days
- Undergraduate students -- 45 days
- Graduate Students / Faculty / Staff -- 120 Days
As long as there is not a recall or a hold placed on an item, renewals are possible.
You may renew materials in the following ways:
- By using the My Account button on the IUCAT catalog
- In person at the Circulation Department of any IU library
- By telephone (219) 980-6585
Items may be returned at any IU library.
- Overdue fines are $0.25 (Twenty-five cents) per day per book with a maximum of up to 25 dollars per item.
- There is no "grace period". The book is due on the date specified at checkout.
- There is a 10 day return period for recalled materials. If the item is not returned, there is a flat $25.00 recall fine.
- $25.00 overdue fine (maximum) *
- $15.00 lost item charge
- $10.50 processing fee
- $30.00 replacement fee (or higher for expensive titles)
Fines and other fees may be paid at the Circulation Desk. Cash or check (payable to: Indiana University Northwest) are accepted, and a receipt will be provided.
Fines and fees may also be paid by mail to:
Attn: Audrea Davis, Head of Circulation, Reserves and Periodicals
Indiana University Anderson Library
3400 Broadway, Gary, IN 46408
A valid IU Northwest ID card must be presented in order to charge our materials in any of the Indiana University Libraries.
- The patron is responsible for all materials charged to his/her card.
- The patron is responsible for notifying the campus and library immediately if the RedHawk card is lost or stolen.
- The patron is responsible for notifying the library immediately if there are any changes in name, address, or phone number.
- In addition for community library patrons, the patron is responsible for notifying the library immediately if the IU Northwest Library card is lost or stolen. There is a $25.00 charge for replacing borrower’s cards.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy. Failing to receive an overdue notice does not absolve a borrower from responsibility should they receive a bill or fine
- When materials are not returned within 30 (thirty) days of the due date, a bill for the replacement cost, plus additional fees (see above), are sent to the Library patron.
- The patron remains liable for any overdue fines, even if all overdue materials are subsequently returned.
*= Fines accumulate $.25 per day up to a maximum of $25.00 per day.
- Unbound periodicals, microfilm, and microfiche are issued from the Periodicals Desk. Patrons must fill out a charge slip before taking materials away from the desk.
- Patrons are limited to two periodicals at a time.
- Patrons must show an ID before they may take materials from the Periodicals Desk.
- Print copies can be made of microfilm and microfiche materials using the reader/printers located in the Periodicals / Microforms department. There is a charge of $.10 (ten cents) per page.
- Bound periodicals are located on the second floor of the library.
- Periodicals and microforms are to be used only in the library.
- Faculty may check out bound volumes or unbound issues for one week. The current issues of periodicals do not circulate. We strongly encourage faculty to use the periodicals in the library rather than checking them out. Your cooperation helps us make sure that materials are available to all our patrons.
- Microfilm and microfiche materials do not circulate.
VendaCards may be purchased at the Circulation desk.