Executive Committee Minutes
September 7th, 2007
Attending: Bodmer (pres.), Gallmeier (VP), Delunas,
Tolhuizen, Flint, Goolik, R. Jones, Echtenkamp, Vinodgopal, Dorin, Blohm,
Pardasani, Hozo, Stevens, Bergland (chancellor)
1. The meeting was called to order by the president 12:02 p.m.
2. If members are unable to attend, substitutes must be sent.
3. We need to elect a new Facuty Organization secretary.
4. The Constitution committee will need to look into who can serve on this committee, what constitutes a conflict of interest, and how the College of Health and Human Services will be represented.
5. The schedule of Executive Committee meetings was set up, so as not to conflict with the Indiana University Board of Trustees meetings, to allow the administrative officers to attend. The meeting schedule follows (all meetings are noon-2 p.m., Library 140A):
Oct. 5, 2007
Nov. 9, 2007
Dec. 7, 2007
Jan. 4, 2008
Feb. 8, 2008
Feb. 29, 2008
April 11, 2008
May 2, 2008
6. Chancellor Bruce Bergland entered the meeting at 12:30 p.m.
A. With regard to the letter sent to the president about the powers of faculty governance, the president appears to have been unwilling to answer; the letter should be re-sent.
B. The chancellor�s raise, decided by the president, was discussed.
C. Since Dr. Boone retired as Trustee, there is no trustee from Lake or Porter counties. Bill Kast from Ft. Wayne will be the representative for our campus. With regard to a trustee visiting campus, the new IU president McRobbie would prefer that trustees stay out of campus business.
D. There is a need to hire a CIO.
E. With regard to a casino near campus, the Board of Trustees would not oppose if there was a contractual agreement.
7. The following resolutions were moved by Professor Flint, seconded by Gallmeier. These resolutions will go forward endorsed by the Executive Committee, passed 7-6.
Whereas IUN is in a financial crisis with no foreseeable solution, the Faculty Organization recommends:
1. Dissolution of the Center for Regional Excellence and the Institute for Innovative Leadership, unless the centers can generate their own revenue to pay for personnel costs for at least a two year period, beginning July 1, 2008. Such a determination will be made by a committee appointed jointly by the Faculty Organization and the VCAA
2. Reduction in costs associated with the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, by eliminating all salaried staff and reducing the Director position to a part time teaching position
2. No additional cost for the College of Health and Human Services be incurred, i.e., administrative restructuring of the divisions incorporated into CHHS can be the only way to fund the administrative structure of the CHHS
4. Summer teaching stipends shall not exceed $ 7000 per course. This amount will be indexed annually to the average faculty raise awarded in the prior academic year.
8. Lacking a written resolution, Professor Contreras�s business on the Martin Luther King, Jr., commemoration was tabled.
9. The meeting was adjourned by the president 1:58 p.m.
Minutes written by George Bodmer
Return to Faculty Org Main Page