Executive Committee Minutes
Attendance: Vinodogopal (President), Sandoval (Vice-President), Gochee (Secretary), Tolhuizen (Ex-Officio), Delunas, Hass-Birky, Hoftiezer, Ledbetter, Lindmark, O'Dell, Rusinek, and Schultz.
1. Call to Order
President Vinodgopal called the meeting to order at 1:06 p.m.
The president asked for a motion to approve the October 4, 2002 Executive Committee minutes. The motion to approve the minutes was made, seconded and passed unanimously.
- The Chancellor will not be attending today as he is at the Board of Trustee's meeting in Fort Wayne. No announcement yet on the selection of the IU Interim President.
- People Soft - Amy Belgan has distributed a memo regarding the capabilities of People Soft. Please review it. Don Hossler, IU Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Vice-Chancellor for Student Enrollment Services in Bloomington, will be on the IUN campus on November 5 to discuss People Soft. Please try to attend his presentation in CC 105 A&B at 2:00 p.m. People Soft has been designed to meet the needs of IU Bloomington and IUPUI. Regional concerns will only be addressed if they do not require major changes to the program.
- Faculty Organization Secretary Angel Gochee will be leaving the campus effective January 2, 2003. We will need to hold a special election to replace her. We will combine that election with the election for Faculty Board of Review members.
4. Strategic Planning Committee
The Chancellor would like to add four additional faculty members to the Strategic Planning Committee. He would like the Executive Committee to submit four to six more names and he will then choose. The Executive Committee decided to keep the names already submitted (Charles Gallmeier, Geoff Schultz and George Bodmer) and add the names of Bala Arshanapalli, Kizhanipuram Vinodgopal, and Roberta Wollons.
5. Faculty Affairs Committee Report on the rewrite of the Goldenrod Promotion and Tenure Document
- Discussion of the suggested rewriting on the Goldenrod Promotion and Tenure Document occurred. There were numerous suggestions/corrections. Appendix D should read lecturers not lectures. Page 5 - It was suggested that all candidates must have external reviewers in their area of excellence. Page 12 - Listing videos as a means to review teaching implies that it is required. Page 19 - Notification to the faculty member must happen if any committee P & T letters have been added to the dossier. The general consensus is the document needs to be completely rewritten rather than amended again as in the past. It was decided to ask Arlene Adler, Bala Arshanapalli, Geoff Schultz and either Mary Russell or Alan Barr to serve on an ad hoc committee to review and totally rewrite the Promotion and Tenure document. The Executive Committee hopes the Promotion and Tenure document can be completed and ratified by the Faculty Organization prior to the end of the 2002-03 academic year.
6. Committee Restructuring
The report regarding restructuring of Faculty Organization committees to coincide with the new Faculty Organization Constitution has been sent to Frank Caucci, the Chair of the Constitution Committee. A final package of the new committees should be completed by the end of February for the Executive Committee to review at our March meeting and to be on the Agenda for the March Faculty Organization meeting.
7. Agenda for the November Faculty Organization Meeting.
The November meeting will be cancelled due to lack of agenda items.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:36 p.m.
Angel V. Gochee
3400 Broadway - Gary, Indiana 46408
3400 Broadway - Gary, Indiana 46408