Skip to Main Content
iun ehs

University Environmental Health and Safety, in cooperation with the Physical Plant, address episodes of inadequate indoor air quality. 

Who do I contact if I have an indoor air quality complaint?

The following complaints should be referred to the Physical Plant:

  • Temperature or humidity problems
  • Draftiness
  • Lack of air or “stuffy” air
  • Dirt or particulates from your venting system
  • Visible mold growth

All other complaints can be addressed to University Environmental Health and Safety.

These include:

  • Unusual odors such as chemical smells and exhaust type odors
  • Sickness associated with occupancy of the building such as headache, nausea, drowsiness, dizziness, congestion, swelling, itching, dryness or irritation of the eyes, nose or throat, cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, and fatigue.  Remember that colds and the flu can have some of these same symptoms but they will not go away when you leave the building.

If Physical Plant personnel are unable to find an obvious cause for the problem you reported, such as the heating and ventilating system, or associated with other building activities such as a remodeling project, they may contact University Environmental Health and Safety to conduct further investigation.