Why Minimize Hazardous Waste?
- It is the currently preferred method of waste management, endorsed by organizations from the Chemical Manufacturing Association to the Environmental Protection Agency to Greenpeace.
- Protection of the environment and human health because of the reduced volume and toxicity of the waste that is created.
- Waste management and compliance costs are lowered for individual departments and the University as a whole.
- Inventories are reduced or eliminated along with possible releases of hazardous chemicals.
- Worker exposure is decreased.
- The image of the University as a whole will be enhanced.
- Decreased future liability costs for the University.
- Compliance with mandated pollution prevention laws.
- Only buy the amount of a chemical that you need.