Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

  • The IUN Counseling Office seeks to achieve three goals: to offer individual counseling to students experiencing emotional distress, to sponsor a variety of growth and educational opportunities that promote mental and emotional health and to encourage the formation of psycho-educational groups for specific needs and interests.
  • Individual counseling for personal problems is available to all full time and part time students at the University. The counseling offered is professional and confidential. No information about a student is ever released without the student's written permission, nor does it ever become part of the student's permanent record. The counseling is also offered at no cost to the student.

    For some students crisis intervention will be the main service provided, but for others the focus of the counseling will be on helping the student make better and healthier decisions for his or her life.
  • A student should consider getting an evaluation for counseling whenever a personal problem, a behavior or a mood alteration interferes significantly with normal functioning or with a significant relationship. If a personal problem prevents a student from regular class attendance, from completing assignments or from doing as well as usual on tests, then it is a good idea to have the situation assessed.
  • Appointments are best scheduled by telephone at 219-980-6741 during scheduled hours of operation.

    You may also schedule an appointment by visiting our office in Hawthorn Hall Room 201, or by sending an email to our email address at [[iunoocs]]. Please note that email is not the most secure form of communication. Emails are checked and returned during our normal business hours of Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.

  • The process begins with an intake interview and an evaluation of the person's circumstance and presenting problem. Normally this is completed in the first session or two. Goals are established for short-term counseling which lasts no more than ten sessions per academic year. During these sessions the client and the counselor explore not only the roots of the difficulty, but also possibilities for growth and change.
  • Because the University cannot promise to offer treatment for every emotional distress or condition, it will sometimes be best to make a referral. If in the judgment of the counselor the student is in need of long term counseling, or for more intensive treatment or for evaluation for medication, an appropriate referral will be made at that time to community or to private mental health facilities or resources.