1. How long is the Commencement Ceremony?
The Ceremony will last up to 2 hours.
2. What time do we need to be at the Genesis Center?
Graduates are to report to the student robing area in the Indiana Room, on the lower level at 2:30 PM. Guests are encouraged to arrive and be seated by 3:45 PM if they wish to see the graduates process into the arena.
3. Do my guests need tickets to attend the ceremony?
Tickets are not required for quests attending graduation ceremonies. Graduates may invite as many guests as they would like to the Commencement ceremony. Guests are encouraged to arrive and be seated by 3:45 PM if they wish to see the graduates process into the arena.
4. Where do we park?
For your convenience, free parking is available in surrounding lots. Handicapped parking will be available adjacent to the Genesis Center. Signs will be posted.
5. Will we be able to drop off family members closer to the hall before parking the car?
Family members may be dropped off in front of the Genesis Center.
6. Members of my family use a wheel chair or have limited mobility. Where will they be seated and who can sit with them?
If a guest is an individual who may require special accommodations such as reserved seating for the physically challenged, please arrive by 3:30 PM. There is limited seating on the main level arena for wheelchair accessible seating. We cannot guarantee any special accommodation if your guests arrive after the ceremony has begun. Due to limited seating, only one family member or friend may sit with the guest in the reserved seating area.
7. A member of my family has difficulty hearing. What arrangements are being made for him/her?
If a guest is hearing or visually impaired and may require special accommodations such as reserved seating, please arrive by 3:30 PM. There will be reserved seating available in section 112 but we cannot guarantee any special accommodation if your guests arrive after the ceremony has begun.
8. Must I wear a cap and gown?
All graduates must wear the official IU cap, gown, and tassel from Herff Jones company. Rental gowns can be ordered at Grad Fest. Late orders will be charged an additional fee. You will not be allowed to participate in Commencement without a cap and gown. Gowns may be ordered at www.herffjones.com/iu.
9. I will complete the requirements for my degree in August. May I participate in the May Commencement ceremony?Yes. Candidates completing degree requirements between December 31 and August 31 march in the May ceremony. There is only one ceremony.
10. Why must I apply for graduation?
All degree candidates must apply to graduate in order for recorders and the registrar to confirm final grades, to have their name included in the Commencement program, and to march in the Commencement ceremony. Each school and department has its own procedure and deadlines for applying for graduation. You may still graduate if you apply after the deadline, but your name will not appear in the Commencement program book.
11. Where is information regarding Commencement available?
Commencement information can be found at 2017 Commencement - Need to Know.