School of Education
B.S. in Education
Bachelor of Science in Education
- Regular matriculation requirements of the university.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
- Successful completion of 35 credit hours of junior- and senior-level courses (courses numbered higher than 299).
- Successful completion of at least 30 of the last 60 credit hours of academic work, including the teaching methods courses, in residence at IU Northwest preceding admission to student teaching.
- Successful completion of at least 120 credit hours of appropriately distributed academic credit hours within seven calendar years of the intended date of receipt of the degree. Any work completed seven or more calendar years prior to that date will be subject to review to determine its acceptability toward the degree. Methods courses three or more calendar years old and student teaching two or more years old will also be subject to review.
- Successful completion of all required courses and a grade of C or better in all education courses and all teaching content area courses.
- Successful completion of all program checkpoint and portfolio requirements.
- Demonstration of specific knowledge, performances, and dispositions as required by the Indiana Department of Education.
Application for Degree
When students register at IU Northwest the last time before completing the requirements for a degree in the School of Education, they should file an application for the degree with the Office of Education Student Services. Students completing work for degrees in the SOE in absentia must notify the same office at least one semester prior to the time when the degree is to be granted.