Schools & Divisions
Group V: Requirements for the Major
Students should plan a tentative outline of their academic program in their major with their advisors in their major department as soon as they matriculate or declare a major.
The following are minimum requirements for any major. Further and detailed requirements are to be found in the departmental statements in this bulletin. The specific departmental requirements that must be fulfilled by each student are those published in the bulletin current at the time the major is declared, or those in the bulletin current at the time of graduation, whichever the student chooses.
Group Va: Courses within the Major
- At least 25 credit hours must be taken in the major subject area. For B.S. programs, no major department may require more than 48 credit hours in the major. (This stipulation does not apply to interdepartmental majors.
- The cumulative grade point average of courses used to satisfy the major (Group Va) must be at least 2.0.
- Any course in which the student receives a grade below C- (1.7) cannot be used to fulfill requirements within the major. However, any non-repeatedcourse that the student passes will count toward the 120 credit hour total.
- At least 10 credit hours within the major discipline must be completed while in residence at IU Northwest.
- Students may pursue a minor. Departments may require a minor. Minors typically require 15 to 20 credit hours outside of the major subject area. Any course taken to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be completed with a grade of C- (1.7) or higher; and the cumulative grade point average of all courses taken in the minor must be at least 2.0 (C). At least 6 credit hours of coursework in the minor must be taken in residence at IU Northwest. (See the individual departmental listings.)
- Students must take 3 credit hours of capstone course work. The course may also be counted toward fulfilling other arts and sciences degree requirements (e.g., intensive writing, major, 300-400 level). Consult departmental advisors for details.
Group Vb: Ancillary Courses Required by the Major
• Departments may require a set of ancillary courses taught outside of the major discipline to support learning within the discipline (for example, a chemistry major needs a background in calculus to succeed within chemistry).
• Any course in which the student receives a grade below C- (1.7) may not be used to satisfy an ancillary (Group Vb) requirement. However, any non-repeated course that the student passes will count toward the 120 credit hour total.
• A course used to satisfy ancillary requirements for the major (Group Vb) can be used to satisfy requirements in Groups I, II, III, IV, or a minor. They cannot be used to satisfy requirements within the major (Group Va).
A minor shall consist of 15 to 20 credit hours with a grade of C- or higher and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in the minor. (A minimum of 2 classes totaling at least 6 credit hours must be taken while in residence at IU Northwest.)
For procedure regarding change of major, see the Student Ombudsperson in the College Office.