College of Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Arts
Group V: Requirements for the Major
Students should plan a tentative outline of their academic program in their major with their advisors in their academic department as soon as they matriculate or declare a major.
The following are minimum requirements for any major. Further and detailed requirements are to be found in the departmental statements in this bulletin. The specific departmental requirements that must be fulfilled by each student are those published in the bulletin current at the time the major is declared, or those in the bulletin current at the time of graduation, whichever the student chooses.
- At least 25 credit hours must be taken in the major, and the cumulative grade point average in the major must be at least 2.0.
- Any course in which the student receives a grade below C- (1.7) may not be used to fulfill requirements for the major. However, any non-repeated course that the student passes will count toward the 120 credit hour total.
- At least 10 credit hours within the major discipline must be completed while in residence at IU Northwest.
- Individual departments may require a minor of 15 to 20 credit hours in another subject. Any course taken to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be completed with a grade of C- or higher; and the cumulative grade point average of all courses taken in the minor must be at least 2.0 (C). At least 6 credit hours of courses in the minor must be taken in residence at IU Northwest. (See the individual departmental listings.)
- Not more than 60 credit hours in any one subject area may be counted toward the B.A. degree.
- Students must take 3 credit hours of capstone course work. The course may also be counted toward fulfilling other arts and sciences degree requirements (e.g., intensive writing, major, 300-400 level). Consult departmental advisors for details.
For procedure regarding change of major, see the Assistant to the Dean.