College of Arts and Sciences
The following requirements pertain to IU Northwest only. Students contemplating transfer to other campuses should consult the appropriate bulletins and the Academic Advising Report (AAR) electronic system.
Faculty members from the student's major department provides academic counseling for each student in the College of Arts and Sciences prior to each semester's enrollment. Although academic counseling is intended to provide effective guidance and every student is encouraged to seek the counsel of a faculty advisor, all students are responsible for planning their own programs and for meeting the following degree requirements by the time they expect to graduate. Students who have been awarded a baccalaureate degree cannot at a later date change the degree to include additional majors and/or minors. (Note: Degree requirements are not the same at every campus of Indiana University.)
- Minimum of 120 credit hours. At least 105 credit hours must be in courses in the College of Arts and Sciences unless a student pursues a minor or a certificate in another division of the university that grants degrees. If so, the 105 credit hour minimum in Arts and Sciences may be reduced sufficiently to allow the student to fulfill the minimum number of credit hours for the other division's minor or certificate, providing that all other Arts and Sciences requirements are met. If no such non—Arts and Sciences minor or certificate is pursued, the remaining 15 credit hours may be taken in the College of Arts and Sciences or in other divisions in the university.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Minimum of 36 credit hours in courses at the 300-400 (junior-senior) level.
- Minimum of 25 credit hours with grades of C- or higher in the major field and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in the major field.
- Minimum of 15 credit hours with grades of C- or higher in the minor field and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in the minor field.
- Maximum of 60 credit hours in one discipline/major department that may be counted toward the B.A. and B.S. degree.
- Twenty-six (26) credit hours of the work of the senior year must be completed while in residence at the IU Northwest campus. At least 10 credit hours of course work in the major field must be completed on the IU Northwest campus.
- Work for credit in the College of Arts and Sciences may be done at Bloomington or other Indiana University campuses.
- Not more than 60 credit hours earned in accredited two-year institutions of higher education, nor more than 90 credit hours from accredited four-year institutions of higher education, may be applied toward a degree.
- A student who fails to complete a degree within 10 years of matriculation will forfeit the automatic right to use the requirements in effect at the time of matriculation. In such cases, the dean, in consultation with the student's major department chair, will determine which set of requirements, or what particular combination of old and new requirements, will be appropriate for the student.
- All credit of candidates for degrees, except that of the current semester, must be on record at least six weeks prior to the conferring of degrees.
- An application for a degree must be filed in the Office of the College of Arts and Sciences no later than July 1 for December graduation. May and August graduates must file the application for graduation by October 15. Degrees are conferred in May, August, and December. Commencement is held only in May.