Schools & Divisions
Major in Studio Practice - B.A.
The B.A. in studio practice offers a wide-ranging study of the studio arts with an accompanying minor in Art History to prepare students for lifelong visual literacy and employment in the arts. This program exposes students to multiple introductory through advanced-level studio courses while encouraging exploration with new artistic directions, alternative media, or conceptual works.
- Minor in Art History
- FINA-A101 and FINA-A102 (6 cr.)
- Art history at the 300 and 400 level (9 cr.)
- Fundamental studio (9 cr.)
- Studio courses above the 100 level (minimum of 19 cr.) must include a minimum of three and a maximum of five of the introductory (200-level) courses
- FINA-A 435 Art Theory for Graduating Seniors (2 cr.) must be taken during the fall semester.
- During the final year, students have the option to choose to assume full responsibility for mounting a personal exhibit that will include terminal and representative work in the major field. To participate in the senior exhibition, the student must:
- File in the departmental office an "Intent to Graduate" one calendar year prior to the intended completion date. You must meet with your principal teacher to determine if you are prepared to enroll in FINA-S 497.
- Submit a portfolio of the most recent and best work in the major discipline to the departmental office before the completion of the fall semester, prior to enrolling in FINA-S 497. The studio program in the final year shall be coordinated with the evaluation of the portfolio.
- Enroll in FINA-S 497 Independent Study in Studio Art for the spring semester during the final year. (1-3 cr.)
- Prepare the exhibit under the principal teacher's guidance. This will include drafting a descriptive statement about the work in the exhibit: goals, intent, approach, techniques, etc.
- Be prepared to exhibit in accordance with the departmental schedule at any time during the final semester. FINA-A 435 and FINA-S 497 fulfill the capstone requirement.
- Graduating Senior Exhibit
- Students must also complete the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences
Total (45 cr.)
The final grade for FINA-S 497 will be based on Senior Exhibit, and will be determined by a faculty committee.