College of Arts and Sciences
Major in English
RequirementsSelect at least 10 courses above the 100 level, of which at least five must be on the 300-400 level (30 cr.)
- Select from the following to meet the requirement English literature before 1700
- ENG-L 211 (3 cr) or
- Two courses from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 303 to ENG-L 320 (6 cr)
- Select from the following to meet the requirement English literature since 1700
- ENG-L 212 (3 cr) or
- Two courses from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 325 to ENG-L 348 (6 cr)
- ENG-L 315 Major plays of Shakespeare (3 cr)
- American literature - one course from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 350 to ENG-L 363 (3 cr)
- ENG-L 440 (3 cr) (also fulfills capstone requirement)
- Students must submit a Senior Portfolio. Requirements for this are available in the English Department.
- Students must also complete the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Writing courses which count as English electives
- ENG-W 231 (3 cr)
- ENG-W 233 (3 cr)
- ENG-W 301 (3 cr)
- ENG-W 303 (3 cr)
- ENG-W 350 (3 cr)
Total (30 cr)
The department recommends that majors considering graduate work in English take elective courses in a variety of periods of English and American literature.
Students who expect to go on to graduate work are advised to take substantial work in at least one foreign language.