College of Arts and Sciences
Computer Information Systems (CIS)
B.S. in Informatics (INFO)
- A minimum of 120 credit hours are required to complete the degree requirements. At least 36 of those credit hours must be at the 300-400 level. At least 105 of those credits must be COAS courses.
- Complete MATH-M 118 and PSY-K 300.
- Students must also complete the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (please see department for specific INFO requirements)
General Education Requirements (39-49 cr.)
The general education requirements for Bachelor of Science in Informatics will parallel those for a Bachelor of Science degree in the College of Arts and Sciences. Specifically, in addition to the general requirements for this baccalaureate degree, candidates for the Bachelor of Science degree in Informatics must complete the following group requirements.
Group V—Major (55-58 cr.)
The major requirements are organized into three categories:
Informatics Core (34 cr.)
Informatics Electives (6 cr.)
Cognate Area (15-18 cr.)
Informatics Core (34 credit hours)
Required (22 cr.)
- INFO-I 101 Introduction to Informatics (4 cr.)
- INFO-I 201 Mathematical Foundations of Informatics (4 cr.)
- INFO-I 202 Social Informatics (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 210 Information Infrastructure I (4 cr.)
- INFO-I 211 Information Infrastructure II (4 cr.)
- INFO-I 308 Information Representation (3 cr.)
- Select two of the following (6 cr.)
- INFO-I 300 Human-Computer Interaction (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 303 Organizational Informatics (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 310 Multimedia Arts and Technology (3 cr.)
- INFO-I 320 Distributed Systems and Collaborative Computing (3 cr.)
- Select one of the following three capstone options (6 cr.)
- INFO-I 494 and INFO-I 495 Design and Development of an Information System I/II (3 - 3 cr.)
- INFO-I 492 and INFO-I 493 Senior Thesis I/II (3 & 3 cr.)
- INFO-I 491 Capstone Project Internship (1 cr. may be repeated up to 6 cr.)
Total (34 cr.)
Informatics Electives (6 credit hours, 300 level or higher)
Please see the CIS Department for a list of acceptable courses.
Total (6 cr.)
Cognate Area (15-18 credit hours)—Select one Cognate Area
Please see the individual departments for specific information on the Cognate Area.