College of Arts and Sciences
Major in Biology - B.A.
Major in Biology – B.A.
Students must take the following classes in the major discipline (Group Va courses)
- Introductory courses BIOL-L 101* (4 cr.)
- BIOL-L 102* (4 cr.) prerequisite of BIOL-L 101
- BIOL-L 211 (3 cr.) prerequisite of BIOL-L 101
- BIOL-L 311 (4 cr.) prerequisite of BIOL-L 211
- At least 18 additional credit hours in biology upper-level (300-400) courses must be included.
- Students must complete at least two additional upper-level labs.
- BIOL-L 473, BIOL-M 440, or BIOL-Z 466 will satisfy the capstone requirement. (note this was moved)
*BIOL-L 101 and BIOL-L 102 must be taken in sequence.
A minimum of one course must be taken from the listed courses in each of the areas below
- Molecular and Cellular Biology
- BIOL-L 312 (3-4 cr.)
- BIOL-M 310 (3-4 cr.)
- BIOL-L 321 (3 cr.)
- BIOL-L 323 (3 cr.)
- Genetics, Development, Evolutionary Biology
- BIOL-Z 317 (3 cr.)
- BIOL-L 331 (3 cr.)
- Ecology, Physiology, and Organismal Biology
- BIOL-B 351 (3 cr.)
- BIOL-B 352 (2 cr.)
- BIOL-Z 406 (3-4 cr.)
- BIOL-L 473 (3-4 cr.)
- Select one of the following
- PHSL-P 416 (3 cr.)
- PHSL-P 461 (4 cr.)
- PHSL-P 431 (4 cr.)
Students should consult with the department for additional information concerning prerequisites and course content.
- The following general chemistry courses outside the major discipline (Group Vb courses) are required and should be taken concurrently with BIOL-L 101 and BIOL-L 102
- CHEM-C 105 (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C 125 (2 cr.)
- CHEM-C 106 (3 cr.)
- CHEM-C 126 (2 cr.)
Students planning on applying to graduate or professional school should take:
- chemistry through CHEM-C 344
- PHYS-P 201
- PHYS-P 202
- mathematics at least through MATH-M 215
- statistics (PSY-K 300 or equivalent)
- computer language / application course.
In addition to the above courses, the student is responsible for fulfilling the general requirements of the Bachelor of Arts degree as established by the College of Arts and Sciences.